Scanning negatives, 8 mm and 16 mm film

HarringtonHarrington Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
edited August 4, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
I have hundreds of negatives (B&W and Color) and some spools of 8mm and 16mm (video) film that I want to digitize. Where is a good, affordable place that I can get this done? I need them to take care of the film and prevent it from splitting. I want high quality negative scans with dust and specks removed. For the video, I want 1080p resolution with a high bit rate. I don't mind if I have the negatives and video digitized at different places.

Can anyone recommend a good service?

Thanks!
Kevin Harrington | SmugMug | OnEdgePhoto

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited July 21, 2009
    What is the ultimate goal for this project? Will you want to be using the digitized frames to reconstruct the movie in a video format?

Is any of the film striped for audio?

About how many running minutes of material do you have to digitize?

You mention video film. What is the exact format of the source material? (There is no such thing as video film but there are all sorts of video formats and film formats in existence.)

Why 1080P?

I hope you realize that no shop will guarantee that they can convert old movie film to digital without some possibility of damage. Old film can be very fragile. Old splices even more so.

Are the negatives in good condition?

Are they all 35mm format?

What pixel dimensions and bit depth do you desire for them?

Would you consider scanning the negatives yourself? (i.e. would you consider the purchase of a film scanner in order to do your own scanning?)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • HarringtonHarrington Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    Sorry for the vary late reply, I was out of the country (US) away from internet access.

I found a place to do the 8mm film and 35mm negatives. Now I need to find a place for the 16mm film, and yes, it's striped for audio. I have about 3 hours the need to be digitized. I want 1080p because, if it's scanned right, most or all pixels in the digitized format should be effective. I would be fine with 720p too. And yes, I know there is a chance the film could be damaged.

Can you recommend a place?
    Kevin Harrington | SmugMug | OnEdgePhoto