My Turn for Mr. UPS

Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
edited July 24, 2009 in Cameras
Ok, so I'm finally getting my first :bowL lens! Canon EF 80-200mm f/2.8L The "Magic Drainpipe".

Took me about 2 months to find one that wasn't already sold by the time I found it!

The guy I bought it from hasn't dropped it off at the UPS store yet... But, hopefully by tonight I will know exactly when it will come. The original email I got from UPS said July 23rd, which would be amazing! But I'm not expecting it to come that soon. (Its located in Michigan)

:ivar :clap Sooo excited!:clap :ivar
Jer

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Just know that the learning curve at the 200mm lens is a little steeper than expected without IS and the better the glass... the more the mistakes show :D

Have fun!
  • Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    I've been following your experiences with your 200 2.8L... so I have been aware of this! But I should be fine, considering I'm not limited to 200, I can go down to 80 :D

UPS has been updated, and it will in fact arrive on the 23rd! SCHAWEET!
    Jer
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    I've been following your experiences with your 200 2.8L... so I have been aware of this! But I should be fine, considering I'm not limited to 200, I can go down to 80 :D

UPS has been updated, and it will in fact arrive on the 23rd! SCHAWEET!
    clap.gif :ivar wings.gif Congrats! You are going to sooooo love that lens. Tomorrow is going to be a great day for you!

I don't have one (I have the 70-200 f/2.8L IS), but I've heard and read soooo much about this one.

Can't wait to see some images!
    edited July 23, 2009
    Here's a picture the guy gave me... I really hope it gets delivered in the morning :D Will give me quality time with it throughout the whole day! Don't feel like putting it on smuggy, so it gettin' attached.
    Jer
    edited July 23, 2009
    Looks like black gold to me!
    edited July 23, 2009
    oooooOOOOoo... As of 8:00am UPS Status:Out for Delivery !! Hopefully this means it will come here any minute! The UPS center is about 15 minutes away from my house (I understand they're not going to come to my house first, but I should be up at the top!)
    Jer
    edited July 23, 2009
    oooooOOOOoo... As of 8:00am UPS Status:Out for Delivery !! Hopefully this means it will come here any minute! The UPS center is about 15 minutes away from my house (I understand they're not going to come to my house first, but I should be up at the top!)
    The good news ==> UPS truck is on it's way.
    The bad news ==> The truck will get there in it's own time.

My last UPS delivery ... the truck left the distribution center (literally 2 miles from my house) at about 6:15AM and the package was delivered to my house at 5:04PM. And, that's pretty much the pattern .... except during the Christmas season when I've had packages arrive at my house as late as 9:00PM.

Sure hope your's gets to you soon than that mwink.gif
    edited July 23, 2009
    The good news ==> UPS truck is on it's way.
    The bad news ==> The truck will get there in it's own time.

My last UPS delivery ... the truck left the distribution center (literally 2 miles from my house) at about 6:15AM and the package was delivered to my house at 5:04PM. And, that's pretty much the pattern .... except during the Christmas season when I've had packages arrive at my house as late as 9:00PM.

Sure hope your's gets to you soon than that mwink.gif
    Yeah, thats usually how it works for me... but sometimes I get deliveries in the morning... Its still not here, so I'm going to assume it will be around 5pm :cry
    Jer
  • 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    Congrats on the drainpipe!
    Yeah, thats usually how it works for me... but sometimes I get deliveries in the morning... Its still not here, so I'm going to assume it will be around 5pm :cry

That's why I pay the little bit extra for FedEx, it's always in my hands by 10:30 a.m. while it's a crapshoot with UPS.

Good luck on getting it sooner than 5p.m..
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
    edited July 23, 2009
    20DNoob wrote:
    Congrats on the drainpipe!

That's why I pay the little bit extra for FedEx, it's always in my hands by 10:30 a.m. while it's a crapshoot with UPS.

Good luck on getting it sooner than 5p.m..
    I was thinking about that at 10am today... the FedEx truck dropped something off for my neighbor rolleyes1.gif... but the guy I bought it from didn't say anything about UPS or FedEx, he just shipped it UPS... which is fine.
    Jer
    edited July 23, 2009
    YAY Its here!!!

One thing I've noticed from initial shots...

I was worried that because it doesn't have USM it would focus slowly... But, I'm noticing that its VERY fast regardless. Also the lens hood is HUGE... and it weighs a ton, but I'm a big guy, so I can handle it!

The funny thing is, the Lens Cap it came with, is a Canon Ultrasonic Cap... HA Irony hmm?

TTYL, I'm going out to shoot some stuff...
    Jer
    edited July 23, 2009
    here are the initial shots I have taken with this lens. Pretty much straight out of camera except for jpeg conversion and white balance correction.

Diva - You were right! at the 200mm end its really hard handholding... but my monopod fixed that problem with ease!

1. My friend came out and shot with my Elan 7.. I had some rolls of film I wanted to get out of my refrigerator :D
    600111850_k9Y93-L.jpg

2. Same pic, b&w conversion... I kinda like it like this...
    600112153_AYemp-L.jpg

600110392_W33zR-L.jpg

600111221_YBH68-L.jpg

600110790_Qnw6N-L.jpg

600111539_3Y2hh-L.jpg

600112488_6b7AU-L.jpg

Overall, I'm lovin' this lens!
    Jer
    edited July 24, 2009
    Yup - I guess that lens will pass muster mwink.gif.

Those shots look pretty darn good!

Congrats!!
  • beyondphotosbeyondphotos Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 24, 2009
    Congratulations on your new toy! I love that lens!
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited July 24, 2009
    Congratulations on your new toy! I love that lens!

Beyondphotos, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Thanks for your comments. Would you have any examples to share from using that lens?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums