Blue eyes.....really it's a problem!

FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
edited July 29, 2009 in Technique
I'm so excited that Trevlan convinced me to get PS4 extended (got a sweet educational disc. through Apple) However, it is a MAJORRrrrr change from elements...I'm in the process of re-editing some pictures, but can't seem to find the tools to reduce the blue hue in the whites of my son's eyes....

HELP!

597918320_ZKmcp-L.jpg
~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
my real job
looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11

Comments

• bbeck4x4bbeck4x4 Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    I don't know how to do this in PS4, Have you tried the white balance?,

here is what I was able to do with Lightroom, if you would like me to remove it just ask. I also used a brush in just the whites of the eyes, and brought the brightness up just a little.

598049036_43Qgu-L.jpg
    Brian Beck
    Spanish Fork, Utah 84660- 360 Virtual Tours - Landscapes
    Google + Facebook Website
  • digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    I'm assuming that you're happy with the color and saturation of the rest of the photo.

I expect that what you would want to do is reduce the saturation of just the eyes (but leave the color/hue the same).

This is easy to fix in about 30 seconds! Hopefully these brief descriptions will be enough for you to follow:

1. Simply use a selection tool of your choice (magic wand, lasso, etc.) to select the blue portions of each eye.

2. Select Layer->New Adjustment Layer->Hue Saturation. Hit the OK button on the pop-up dialog box. This creates an adjustment layer that can be adjusted as many times as you want, and will only affect the selected areas.

After hitting OK, you will now see another dialog box with 3 sliders: Hue, Saturation, and Lightness.

3. Slide the Saturation slider to the left to taste. This may be all you need. If necessary, you might want to adjust the lightness slider slightly to the right.

Hope this helps,
  • FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Holy Cow BRad, thank you very much!! I understand that. Going to play with it and post what I get tomorrow morning!!
    ~Shannon~

my real job
    edited July 22, 2009
    I think I ned to calibrate my monitor again....
    ~Shannon~

my real job
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    I'm still using CS2, so this might be different in CS4.

The quickest way I know of to accomplish what you stated is to simply select the "sponge" tool, on the pull-down, select "desaturate" and brush where you want to desaturate.

Presto! Your done.

Hope that helps...
    Randy
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    Does your software have eyedroppers? Click on the whites with a color cast checker or with the white eyedropper ,that may do it for you with one click.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    I'm still using CS2, so this might be different in CS4.

The quickest way I know of to accomplish what you stated is to simply select the "sponge" tool, on the pull-down, select "desaturate" and brush where you want to desaturate.

Presto! Your done.

Hope that helps...
    Quickest - yup. But adjustment layers are a better bet as the extent of the effect can be edited/modified after the fact, as long as you keep the layers around.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited July 23, 2009
    Flutist wrote:
    I'm so excited that Trevlan convinced me to get PS4 extended (got a sweet educational disc. through Apple) However, it is a MAJORRrrrr change from elements...I'm in the process of re-editing some pictures, but can't seem to find the tools to reduce the blue hue in the whites of my son's eyes....

HELP!

597918320_ZKmcp-M.jpg

Flutist,

I have been waiting to reply to your post until I got back home to my calibrated monitor, I prefer not to comment on color balance from my laptop ( although it is color balanced as well ).

I think your original image is quite blue overall, not just in the white of the little one's eyes. I think this is apparent in the improvement displayed in the subsequent edited image.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    Quickest - yup. But adjustment layers are a better bet as the extent of the effect can be edited/modified after the fact, as long as you keep the layers around.

You won't get any argument from me that the image here needs more than the blue saturation reduced in the eyes, or that layers is a better process.

But, as I stated in my reply "...to accomplish what you stated..."

I gave her a direct answer to her specific request.

This info can also be useful for future needs.
    Randy
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2009
    Here's what I did.
    In this order:
    Saturation: -23 Master
    Saturation: -26 Blue
    Color Balance: +11 Red (midtones)
    Color Balance: +20 Red (highlights)
    Color Balance: +9 Yellow (midtones) More yellow in the highlights would have completely eliminated the blue in the white of his eyes.

Photoshop 7; no layers, no masks, no other adjustments.

597918320_ZKmcp-L.jpg

Flutist,

More often than not, the color balance of an image is just plain off and some of the colors are too intense to match real life - that's the nature of digital photography. In this case, your image had too much blue and cyan. Compare the shirt in the images to the one your son is wearing. For that matter, compare his skin, too. Compare his hair and his eyes.

Some have told me that this is wrong, but when I color balance an image I don't use a gray card and I certainly don't rely on memory: I use the back of my hand. In all my years of film and digital photography and processing (darkroom and computer), only once has this failed me, and that was because of the odd tone of a friend's skin. The next time I saw her in person, I realized my mistake; she and I are both caucasian, but she has an odd color to her skin. (She's kinda green. Personally, I don't get it. ne_nau.gif) It's worked for me on all skin tones except hers, until I figured that out. rolleyes1.gif

In the case of this picture, your best color balancing tool is your son. Have him in the room with you while you process his pictures and compare the image on the computer to the kid himself. At that point, he and the computer are in the same light. So, you can't go wrong. :D

I hope this helps.

Very nice image! Perfectly sharp on the kids' eyes and great expression. thumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    Shannon, love that boy. He looks so mean!!!

3 seconds in Adobe Camera RAW.

Use the white balance tool, and click on the white of the eyes. Done.

605520420_vQuYr-L.jpg
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
    edited July 29, 2009
    Thanks guys! Some fixes seem much easier than others. I'm gonna have to play with some of them and see which works best, for my stupidity level. mwink.gif
    ~Shannon~

my real job