Superzoom compact camera crops my Schlieren!

iansmithiansmith Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited July 23, 2009 in Technique
I am playing with Schlieren photography which makes differences in air density visible. Lots of explanations on how it all works on the web so I'll just detail my issues here. This is the basic setup...

SchlierenDiagram.png

The issue is that the light coming into the camera is at some very extreme angles. With a fixed lens camera this is not an issue, but with a superzoom the lens is long and complicated and the light ends up getting cropped somewhere inside. Here is a rough idea of what is happening in the camera...

CameraCloseup.png

So I end up only seeing a small part of the image I am hoping for, the rest cut off. Now, this is just point source light. You can clearly see the entire mirror, but instead of the mirror being filled with light, only the center 1/3rd is.

I have done a ton of work nailing down the issue here, and it is my camera, no doubt. I borrowed a friends DSLR and it works perfectly with no cropping when I use his telephoto lens, but both my compact cameras and my camcorder all have the irising issue.

The camera is a Cannon S5 IS. I lock the fstop as wide as it can go at 2.7 using CHDK.

So the question is.... anything I can do about this? I assume some sort of corrective lens after the focal point could bend the light to a smaller angle and get it all through the problem aperture. One issue is that it will also distort anything I am filming that is in front of the mirror.

Things that sadly can not be changed. A color filter HAS to be placed at the focal point, so the camera must be behind that point. I can't move the camera closer to the focal point, it's all ready less than 1mm from the front of the lens. I can't afford to go out and buy a DSLR and matching telephoto lens.

Here is an example of the pictures I am taking... you can see more at my web site http://www.ian.org/Schlieren/ page. It really is fun, but this one last problem is pretty frustrating.

T_SolderingIron3.jpg

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,068 moderator
    edited July 21, 2009
    Ian, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Do you have any other optics in the light path besides the camera lens?

Have you tried the macro mode on the camera?

Are you using a knife edge or a pinhole at the focal point of the Schlieren system?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • iansmithiansmith Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited July 22, 2009
    Thanks for the welcome!

It's just the mirror and the camera.

I can't use macro mode because I need to zoom in. The mirror is 12 feet away.

When taking pictures I use a slide with stripes of color in place of a knifes edge. But for testing I remove it, as the problem shows up without it from the angle of the light entering the camera.

I can move my camera forward so the focal point ends up inside the lens housing and get the full image, but now of course I can't use a knifes edge or filter.

I know one of those nice new micro four-thirds cameras with a telephoto lens and HD recording would solve my problem. :-)
    edited July 22, 2009
    iansmith wrote:

I can't use macro mode because I need to zoom in. The mirror is 12 feet away.

Try using macro mode. You may actually have to move the camera back a bit. It may invert the image but that should be OK in that you can right the image in software.
    ziggy53
  • iansmithiansmith Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited July 22, 2009
    The focus has to be on the surface of the mirror, and macro mode won't focus that far away.

The further back the camera is the worse the problem becaomes due to the light spreading out rappidly once past the point where all the light comes to a point at the knifes edge location.

I wish I could just take the lens off the camera. Somhow I doubt that would end well!
    edited July 23, 2009
    My only other suggestion would be an accessory teleconverter lens to mount on the digicam. It would appear that the Canon TC-DC58B is the recommended converter and it appears to also require the LAH-DC20 Lens Adapter/Hood.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/381969-REG/Canon_0300B001_TC_DC58B_1_5x_Teleconverter_Lens.html#accessories

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/381970-REG/Canon_0301B001_LAH_DC20_Lens_Adapter_Hood_Set.html
    ziggy53