Camera gear on planes

erson83erson83 Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
edited July 30, 2009 in Cameras
I'm not sure if this is the proper place to ask, but how does DSLR gear do in x ray machines? I'd like to take my gear on a plane trip...but do not want to mess anything up. Also, are memory cards safe? Maybe dumb questions but like my ball coach always said: "there is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people who ask them!"

Thanks

Comments

• Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Camera gear and CF cards will go through the carry on x ray machine fine. So you don't need to worry.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    You can relax. Digital cameras are electronic, and we all know electronics are not messed up because so many iPods, laptops, and phones go through security machines every day and they still work when they come out the other end.

The situation for digital cameras is far, far better than it was with film, when every photographer agonized over whether they could keep their film out of the x-ray machine, and if they could not, whether it was going to fog the film. I still have the lead-lined film bag I always traveled with.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    You need have no concerns. I've traveled a small bit, pushing CF cards through both the checked baggage and carry-on. No issues, even with "exposed" cards. When I got to my destination, all images were intact.

Any harm to the cameras? Nope, not at all.

Slightly off-topic: The biggest worry is the TSA folks getting their sticky mitts all over the gear as they "inspect" the stuff in the carry-on. Though, I must admit, the last time the guy was VERY careful and respectful .... I was quite impressed and I thanked him for his care. He seemed to appreciate my thanks.
  • kdgrapeskdgrapes Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    Shouldn't be any problem at all. Have a great time!
    Ken Grapes

www.photograpes.com
    photograpes.smugmug.com
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009

Slightly off-topic: The biggest worry is the TSA folks getting their sticky mitts all over the gear as they "inspect" the stuff in the carry-on. Though, I must admit, the last time the guy was VERY careful and respectful .... I was quite impressed and I thanked him for his care. He seemed to appreciate my thanks.

that is my only concern when I travel with my gear. If the TSA has to go into my gear to inspect, but most of the time if they do they just take a look and we move on.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • adamcoupeadamcoupe Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited July 22, 2009
    Everything will be fine - they'll probably ask you to switch your camera on and show them that it functions properly

Adam

www.adamcoupe.com
    edited July 22, 2009
    adamcoupe wrote:
    Everything will be fine - they'll probably ask you to switch your camera on and show them that it functions properly

Adam

www.adamcoupe.com
    I've had this happen in the past with laptops. In about 8 or ten passes through TSA in the last couple or three years, I've yet to have them request this with camera gear.

Of course, the fact that I'm carrying a Pelican 1550 with 2 bodies, 5 lenes, flashes, and other assorted accessories might lend credibility to a belief that I'm not there to blow up and/or hi-jack the planene_nau.gif
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    Depends
    Each airport has it's own set of rules it seems. I have had to turn on my cameras in France and Greece before boarding to come home to the US. In Heathrow, I've been majorly inspected and had the laptop turned on and another time not even inspected. In the US, it can be a full inspection - which I always request that I am present. On one trip I had a TSA agent with major attitude decide I should be "wanded" and bag inspected all because I left my boarding pass in my purse.

The camera is fine to go through securtiy. The more professional your stuff is packed, I find the less hassle. I also have an order that I put my stuff through - shoes first, laptop 2nd and camera third. Never go though the metal detection until my camera is in the xray. I am usually through by the time my first tray with shoes is there. And I never take my eyes off of it for any reason.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited July 22, 2009
    adamcoupe wrote:

Adam

www.adamcoupe.com

Adam, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Thanks for your comment.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    One additional thing: check the carry-on size for the SMALLEST plane on your trip; it's easy to forget that if you have connecting flights, particularly to smaller airports. Transatlantic and cross-country jets aren't such a problem since their overhead compartments are bigger, but I got caught short when I had to take a puddle jumper to a smaller town. If your bag is too big for the smaller plane, they WILL make you check it gateside; in theory that's "safe" and goes straight to the cargo hold and then back to you on lnading but I would not be happy checking a full camera bag that way (fortunately when I got caught out by that I only had to worry about my laptop - I just took it out of my wheelie-bag and let them have the bag, but I would be very uncomfortable putting a full gear bag down below!).
  • TizianoTiziano Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    Is this a timely thread or what.:D
    We're heading to San Diego (from MSP) in two weeks and I'm pre-packing my camera gear to decide on which lenses, etc that I want to take.

I've a set of 3 Cokin Z-Pro ND Grad filters that are 4" x 6" (I think). They are in their individual fabric bags but the case they came with is too big so I'm not taking that. Does anyone have the skinny on whether the TSA will let me take these filters in my carry on? I'm thinking that they are sharp and well, you know...
    A Nikon D90 plus some Nikon, Sigma & Tokina lenses.
    edited July 24, 2009
    Tiziano wrote:
    Is this a timely thread or what.:D
    We're heading to San Diego (from MSP) in two weeks and I'm pre-packing my camera gear to decide on which lenses, etc that I want to take.

I've a set of 3 Cokin Z-Pro ND Grad filters that are 4" x 6" (I think). They are in their individual fabric bags but the case they came with is too big so I'm not taking that. Does anyone have the skinny on whether the TSA will let me take these filters in my carry on? I'm thinking that they are sharp and well, you know...
    Everything you ever wanted to know is found here. You should have no problems.
    edited July 24, 2009
    Everything you ever wanted to know is found here. You should have no problems.

Thanks Scott.clap.gif
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited July 24, 2009
    Three things that are a great help to me are 1) have your stuff ready to go when you get to the screening station. If that means taking a few minutes before getting in line, do that. I empty my pockets, take off my belt and shoes, laptop out and ready for inspection, etc. 2) when your turn comes, tell the screener that your bag contains camera gear and cords, etc. This helps set the expectation of what's in it when it does go through. 3) Be pleasant. The TSA deal with a lot folks every day. Some of whom don't think so kindly of them. By helping them, you help yourself (at least this is my experience).

I don't fly as often as I used to but these three tips have helped get me through the checkpoint with as little fuss as possible and I hope made the TSA dude(ette)'s life a little easier too.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited July 24, 2009
    I've not been on a plane since '04 and then I was getting art supplies through, not camera gear.

For this trip I had planned on taking my laptop, even got a new Kata bag that holds it all. But, darn if it isn't all heavy. I think the laptop compartment will hold a nice selection of light weight magazines instead.:D

I used to go through Israel and they always stopped me (this was pre-911). My contact lens cleaner (electric) give them lots of pause. Oh well, safety first. You're right, be nice, helpful and patient.

Anyway, thanks for the tips.
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    Hi, guys,
    Missing the forum for more than 2 months due to busy travelling schedule of the new job. I am still carrying the old 5D, 2-3 lenses including the heavy 70-200F2.8, couple of filters, a 580EXII and a small tripod with my company laptop in the TUMI backpack.

So far I travelled to US, China (multiple cities), Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, India and Singapore in last 60 days without any problem to carry the backpack on board.

None of the custom office stop me and ask to inspect the camera. So far the CF cards still working fine.

Please feel free to carry the camera on board!!!!
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited July 27, 2009
    I just completed a trip to Chicago from Madrid. I was carrying a camera bag inside of a larger carry on bag that also contained a fair amount of electronics gear--batteries, cables, etc. I had absolutely no hassle in both directions. Never even had to open the bag. YMMV, of course.
  • Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    I travel a lot and carry digital or film cameras depending on my destinations/schedules. Never had any trouble at any airport with any inspections of camera gear. Only one time did a TSA inspector want to see my IR filter which was off-camera in my bag - apparently it shows up solid in the X-Ray. No hassles, no problems.

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    I travel round the world a bit and I've found that flying from Canada to the US (where you go through US customs before your flight) has the most rigorous checking of camera gear. Opening all the compartments and asking me to turn things on. Lovely people though the Canadians.

My wacom tablet when it's in my laptop bag often gets inspected as it shows up like a big grid of wires tracing back and forward.

Singapore and Australia I've had them use the little vaccum machines that they use on electronics to look for traces of drugs or explosives hidden inside.

More often then not they've seen it all before. smile and be polite, they really don't care if you're in a hurry as they are there all day. If they want to look in your bag, a simple "won't be a sec, just putting on my shoes" gives you time to collect the rest of your belongings and they won't open anything without you present.
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    I was also stopped once and inspected and got chatting to the guy, he said that because I had a bundle of wires on top of everything (some headphones, a cable release and a charger) then they couldn't make out what was under it in the xray.

You're best to just have one layer of lenses or things in your bag and lay the bag flat on the belt.
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]