Progressing from ok shots to great photos

BlinkerfluidBlinkerfluid Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited July 24, 2009 in Technique
I wasn't sure where to start at on this site.. there is a TONNE (that's a metric tonne btw, vs. a standard ton which is about 200lbs less) of info here and I learn something new with every thread I read.. Which isn't saying too much because I've only been taking photos for a very short while (maybe a month) so it's expected that I know pretty much nothing :huh .. Anyway, I decided I'd start this thread to record my progress from ok shots to great photos (given that I get there someday anyway).. With each dedicated photo trip I take, I'll post up the photo's I feel are my best with the hopes that I'll be able to learn better techniques from everyone's criticism and therefore progress to better photos.

So here goes.. These shots are from my very first dedicated photo trip last weekend, so critique away.. in a kind and gentle manner if you don't mind :thumb

598136324_gqXdt-L.jpg

598134918_EMLa2-L.jpg

598148175_n4jxy-L.jpg

598167916_QxCEw-L.jpg

598134980_hWpLf-L.jpg

I guess I should say what my equipment is.. I took all these with a Rebel XS.. Shots 1-4 were taken with a Promaster 17-50 f/2.8 and number 5 was taken with a canon 70-200 f/2.8L

Comments

• TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    Let me start with the good...you show indication of an "eye" for a good photograph. Nice, sharp, photos of interesting subjects.

You're a little weak on composition. Some improvements in composition at the time you shoot and in post-processing can improve your shots. Your best shot is the small boy. It would be improved by less of the bricks at the bottom (cropping to two rows below the boy's feet) and more fountain water at the top. I'd put the boy a little bit more to the left.

When you photograph scenes like this, shoot multiple exposures. Shoot both tight and wide; zoom in and out. Sometimes you'll find that the wider shot allows you to crop for a better image. A wider shot would have included more fountain water.

Cobwebs are tempting, but generally don't work out as images. (Been there, done that) There's no central point of interest.

Dunno about the cannon. Interesting subject, but the scene misses. The tree doesn't add anything. You might try a tighter crop of just the cannon, but I don't think anything's there.

The bug/flower shot also misses. The bug and flower combo only work if it's a really close-up shot. You might try cropping to the lower right quadrant only and see if you like it.

Trees-and-water is good, but a bit washed-out in the trees. If you have an editing program (Photoshop or similar), you might be able to pop that one a little.

One last bit...as you progress in photography, make sure you progress in post-processing. Learning to crop to the best advantage is extremely important. It's not always what you capture. It's what you end up showing.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • BlinkerfluidBlinkerfluid Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    Thanks for the tips.. I'll definitely have to work on my post processing.. So far I've just left all that up to my fiance, but I guess it's probably best for me to be able to do it as well.

I thought the little boy was a pretty interesting subject.. I think I purposely aimed low in the image to avoid getting a rather unattractive background in the shot.. I guess I should have shot the image with all the water, then blurred the background in post processing.. I'll have to remember that next time.

We did a little work to the trees/lake image and I think it looks better but I didn't get a chance to upload it yet, I'll have to add it later.

I have this picture of the cannon, but I'm not sure if it's any better than the other one:
    598136154_cKh7H-L.jpg

Anyway, thanks again for the critique/tips. thumb.gif