AmystaAmysta Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited July 24, 2009 in People
Thanks!
Amy

598723865_eemRC-M.jpg

Comments

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    By the title this is about what I expected to see. Unfortunately Id rather be surprised and see an unexpected take on the wading fisherman. Is he at the beach? I see no evidence of this. I don't think that the vignette helps the image...but maybe if it were less defined and not so rectangular. I like negative space but think that maybe there is too much here, and I'd like to see some beach.

Another take would have been to include much more of the environment and keep him smaller in the frame.

The conversion to bw was a good choice for the image and the contrast looks good.

Welcome to dgrin.
  • rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    I have to jump and say I agree with Jeff's comments. The vingette is to dark and distracting, too much water and not enough fisherman. I do like the overall thought/concept of the photograph though.
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    Mostly 15524779-Ti.gif with Jeff
    • thumb.gif incorporation of a negative space is a good idea
    • thumb.gif so is choice of BW instead of color (however I may be wrong here since I didn't see the color)
    • :cry vignette doesn't work for me
    • :cry I'd rather see him waiting with his hook in the water, or whipping his pole, or actually reeling in the fish. Playing with the bait is not an attention drawer, at least at this distance and level of details
    • :cry bw is too agressive, his whole bottom left area is pure black with no details.
    • headscratch.gif For some reason I would rather him smaller (more negspace) or larger (less negspace), this particular ratio doesn't do anything for me.
    HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Mostly 15524779-Ti.gif with Jeff
    • thumb.gif incorporation of a negative space is a good idea
    • thumb.gif so is choice of BW instead of color (however I may be wrong here since I didn't see the color)
    • :cry vignette doesn't work for me
    • :cry I'd rather see him waiting with his hook in the water, or whipping his pole, or actually reeling in the fish. Playing with the bait is not an attention drawer, at least at this distance and level of details
    • :cry bw is too agressive, his whole bottom left area is pure black with no details.
    • headscratch.gif For some reason I would rather him smaller (more negspace) or larger (less negspace), this particular ratio doesn't do anything for me.
    HTH

And mostly agree with Nikolai, although I have no problem with him playing with the bait.

But this is a great example of why it's usually best to let the image speak for itself and forget the caption. If you hadn't decided to call this "fisherman on the beach," no one would have been looking for the beach. rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • AmystaAmysta Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    Wow, thank you for the feedback. It is really helpful.
    I definitely get what you are saying about the title. I was on the beach when I captured the image, but he was knee deep in the water. I don't know why I called it that... ne_nau.gif
    I'm going to play again with the crop and the vignette (still learning that part).

Thanks again!
    Amy :D