Portfolio question (13 pictures)

marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
edited July 30, 2009 in People
(I'm not sure where to post this, so I'll hazard it here.)

I received a reply from http://www.htexas.com/ saying they would like to schedule a meeting so they can see my portfolio
for a possible internship.(The job description states, "We`re looking for a couple of interns to go out and photograph
the things that make Houston great, with subjects range from food to architecture.") After some serious shrieking (happily,
silently, and only in my head), I realized I didn't have a clue what to include in a portfolio and, most specially, if I had
enough images to consider, let alone include.

These are so far what I would have (I'm sorry for inundating you lol). Keeping in mind the job description, do you guys
think I should go try to add "food and architecture"? I had been trying to research what makes a good portfolio and so
far, aside from having your best work, some advise to have different approaches to different clients (i.e. advertising
wants edgy perspectives that sell a product, etc), and others also advice to be cohesive.

1 2 3
273653323_JaD8A-S-Th.jpg285312841_U8MG3-S.jpg301440154_VUQAX-S.jpg

My "places" photos are not very strong :(

4 5
453037645_aPcWw-S.jpg453035852_HKeLK-S.jpg

6 7
381514134_57YYL-S.jpg381514154_HnSVD-S.jpg

530055212_RCXXf-S.jpg

9 10
524363343_NeZXZ-S.jpg530056696_ckuxz-S.jpg

Some other images I am considering:

272552456_7Rr3S-S.jpg

12 13
362900818_FWTFy-S.jpg362900941_824hK-S.jpg

Comments

• marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    I would also like to know what, in your opinion, is the best way to present the photographs? In sleeves? With a white border? What size? I read A2 is the best size (16.5 x 23.4 in) and I have a printer that prints to 19x23 inches. Or is a standard 8.5 x 11 ok? I could get a 14 x 11 portfolio and have black paper borders, or just an 8.5 x 11 portfolio and print full bleeds.

Thank you guys so much in advance :)
  • seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    Consistency is critical, i.e. consistency of style, or at least aesthetic. And ... less is more with a portfolio.

I'd say you have 7 portfolio shots above with an edgy lifestyle feel to them that is both good and in fashion. The muted colors, almost cross process, are great ... has a film look to it. 4,5,6,7,8, 9, 10 are all wonderful.

I think it's certainly advisable to tweak your portfolio to your client without changing your style or diluting your best work. If what you love to shoot and what you shoot well (always the same thing) is what they are looking for, that's perfect. If you are significantly changing what and how you shoot to fit the client then the question becomes, do you really want that gig in the first place? So show them what you do well and how you do it honestly, and then their decision is a judgement on whether your style fits their product vision, not a judgement of your work per se, and if you get the job, everybody is happy. If you don't, you'll know it just wasn't a good fit to begin with and may well have been a less than happy experience for you.

Having done the change my style to fit the client (magazine) ... I can say it ends up an awful experience and a body of work I will never show anyone. No matter how much it paid, it just wasn't worth it and I did nothing to build my body of work over time ... which is what it's all about. And whatever you do, never, ever, surrender your copyright and rights to use your image over the long haul.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    Obviously, I'm not a pro photographer so take this as general info rather than specific, and if it is contradicted by those "in the biz"... their opinion trumps mine in this context :D

HOWEVER...

I think in any interview/audition situation (they're not that different!), you have to know your market... in this case, the client, and specifically in your case, the magazine. Do the images you want to include show that you can shoot the style and type of shot they need? If you're emphasizing your own unique photographic style (which is a good thing), is it one that can comfortably fit into their existing format/style, while still retaining your "vision"t? Are your subjects appropriate for their market? While I think it's vital to retain our uniqueness (both artistically, and in terms of standing out from any other applicants), we can also perhaps tailor the package to emphasize the appropriate parts of our skillset for each target market.

Similarly, what are "the things that make Houston great"? Seems to me that having a connection with that speficic statement in the description is going to be important. How do your portfolio shots relate to that? What can YOU bring to that statement that will make you better for the position than somebody else with a decent portfolio?

In any case, just general ideas about self-marketing and preparing a saleable package; there are definitely similarities between artistic disciplines, so hopefully some of this is helpful if only in a general way.

Good luck with it!
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    I'm going to side with seastack on this:
    • Staying true to your vision is important. I'm not saying that you don't want to bend a bit to accomodate a client, but you need to keep YOU in mind as well. If you vision and style are valid, stick with it. You'll be happier in the end.
    • Your portfolio should reflect the needs/desires of your prospective client. This is much like tailoring your resumé to your prospective employer's requirements. What, of your body of work, best addresses the question, "What makes Houston GREAT?"
    • In a portfolio, I agree, less is more. Take you best 10 to 20 images and then be brutal. Winnow that down to seven or ten. Why that number? Because you want your prospective employer to remember all of your stuff. People have a hard time remembering more than seven of anything. And, this helps ensure that you are presenting only your best work.
    • One contradiction to the "less is more" mantra is in the prints. BIG prints sell. They have visual impact! I would think 16x24 would not be too big.
    All that being said, like divamum, I'm not in that business. The words of someone like Ziggy or Angelo would and should carry a lot more weight than anything I might post/say.
    edited July 25, 2009
    Thank you all for your replies! What I'm gathering is, since I have absolutely no pictures of Houston (I just moved here and still unpacking), I should go out and photograph as much as I can. However, I am slightly confused about that part. It's an unpaid internship, so I don't know if what they want to see are the kinds of pictures that I take (the style and if I know what I'm doing with a camera so that they can give me an assignment and know I can do it), or the kinds of pictures that are already published in their magazine (even if they haven't asked me to shoot anything). Or both. Because I see the merit of all three.

I think I might just be confusing myself. What worries me is that I will have several different photographs that seem haphazard next to each other. I can see that #4 - #10 are strong together, but at the same time, I'm also worried that I don't have something like #3 or #12 in it, since the magazine is concerned about more than just fashion.

They haven't responded with a date yet, so I still have time with this conundrum, thank goodness lol.

PS. Oh, I also have something like these that are not fashion related, but maybe interesting (not sure if that makes a difference):

285313629_zyjuM-S.jpg

280695704_vuYXS-S.jpg
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2009
    Yes I do think you need to add architecture. Add something that adds identity even though you just moved there.Food, not so much but maybe a landmark or two in your style, your flavor, to show what you can bring to the table.
    Good Luck, we're rooting for you.clap.gif
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2009
    VayCayMom wrote:
    Yes I do think you need to add architecture. Add something that adds identity even though you just moved there.Food, not so much but maybe a landmark or two in your style, your flavor, to show what you can bring to the table.
    Good Luck, we're rooting for you.clap.gif

Absolutely - get out there and take some pictures to add to the mix!! thumb.gif
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2009
    Scott is right with his advice as usual. 10 images is the magic number not to exceed. I personally like 11x14 or 12x18 prints as they are odd sizes for most people.

The vast majority will use 8x10 and when the client sits down and sees one or two sizes up from that it adds a new mental image for them. 16 x20 is a tad on the large size to sit in a chair and view, so keep that in mind. A lot of my clients like to hold the book in their hands instead of laying it on the table. When I dropped down to 11x14 images my bookings went up.

Make sure to stay consistent, but lean towards some variation (backgrounds-backdrops-different lighting) so they know that you can reach outside of your norm when necessary.
    Steve

Website
    edited July 26, 2009
    Ok, I see! You guys have been very helpful!

Another question: if I have a landscape oriented photo, like #8 (etc), do I present that in a full spread (taking care with the gutter), or do I just insert it the same as the portrait ones in its own page (essentially leaving the viewer to turn the portfolio sideways to view it right side up)?

Also, If I'm aiming for something around 10 photos, I'm assuming that each photo will be on the right hand side of the spread instead of having two photos facing each other on the spread, right?
  • blaser321blaser321 Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2009
    marikris wrote:
    Ok, I see! You guys have been very helpful!

Another question: if I have a landscape oriented photo, like #8 (etc), do I present that in a full spread (taking care with the gutter), or do I just insert it the same as the portrait ones in its own page (essentially leaving the viewer to turn the portfolio sideways to view it right side up)?

Also, If I'm aiming for something around 10 photos, I'm assuming that each photo will be on the right hand side of the spread instead of having two photos facing each other on the spread, right?

These are great questions. I hope to see an answer too
    5D mark II, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8 L IS
    EF 2.0x II extender BG-E6
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2009
    Congrats on your offer! How exciting! I would definately get out and shoot Houston quickly if that is what they are looking for and use those for this particular portfolio. I would avoid the sexy ones for this particular thing...such as the one that the girl is holding her shirt and showing cleavage and the crotch shot..... just my personal taste though, and take this all with a grain of salt since I don't do these kinds of pictures! Good luck and keep us posted!
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
    edited July 27, 2009
    Oh! I hadn't considered avoiding the more explicit shots, but you might have a point there, since I'm not sure either lol. And thank you :)

I have another question to add on my list of questions for everyone (sorry, sorry): would it be better to use sheet protectors like so: http://www.portfolios-and-art-cases.com/pz-81808.html

Or would it be better to use these pre-punched ink jet papers: http://www.portfolios-and-art-cases.com/pz-81808.html

All of your comments are very much appreciated!

<3
  • PhotobbyPhotobby Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited July 28, 2009
    Congratulations on the portfolio request. I am not a pro shooter, although if presented with the right situation.... I would stick with your style. I am not a formal shooter and have to make that clear to folks who want to hire me for weddings. I don't do/like formal posed shooting, and would rather pass on a job that included lots of it. (OK I'm off the soap box) All that to say that I would show them some of your take on the genre that they want shown.

A wise man once said "if all you ever shoot is what other people hire you to shoot, that's all your portfolio will ever be, and all you will ever be requested to shoot. Build a portfolio of what you want to shoot, and those jobs will come looking for you, and you will get to shoot what you love." (Chase Jarvis)

Don't worry either if you don't get the gig. Remember, people are looking at the shots, and they will have other needs in the future. (I hope that doesn't sound too wet towel-ish) You have a great eye for composition, your post prod is great. Kind of an indy-fashon feel.

Best of luck!

Oh and while I am thinking of it.... You ought to have the shots (portfolio) bound or order a couple of nicely bound books with the shots in them. Something you can leave with them and pick up later (great reason to stop back in and see if they have any questions)
    edited July 29, 2009
    Photobby, your first point (like seastack's response early in the thread) is very valid, and I thank you guys for raising it. Even though there are differing points being raised (i.e. and loosely paraphrasing: shoot for yourself vs shoot for the client), I am very happy to read about why each are important.

I hadn't even considered your second point - leaving a bound copy of my portfolio. I don't know why it didn't occur to me at all, lol, since I'm also pursuing children's illustration, and it's important to be able to send dummy books out to potential clients (although, in this case, employers.) Thank you again!
    edited July 30, 2009
    Blaser, I think I found a thread that shed some light to some of these questions: http://forums.pdnonline.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/215108031/m/631106541/p/1

My pina zingaro 14x11 shipped out two days ago, but finding paper for it is a pain in the rear.