Best Compact Point & Shoot - Low Light

digital504digital504 Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited July 22, 2009 in Cameras
So shoot all canon professional gear, but I dont always want to carry it around. I'm really looking to get a compact point and shoot digital that is good in low light. Through my own searching I found the Panasonic LX3 to be great in low light, but they not in stock any where ! I have been on a waiting list with Adorama since April and I'm kinda sick of waiting.

So any one have any advice ? Whats the best compact point and shoot for low light shots with the least amount of noise.

Thanks

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited July 22, 2009
    If you need the lens of the Panasonic LX3 then your choices are limited to that and the Leica DLux4, for a lot more money (but the same camera.)

I do like the FujiFilm F40fd and I still see them sold new and used. I am very pleased with their low-light performance and general usefulness.

This is my cousin in a recent visit (with external flash on a Sunpak slave and using a Demb Flip-It):

597567835_5cWtm-XL.jpg

Here is a snap taken at Genesis Heart Center while I was waiting for someone:

598965263_qPZJa-O.jpg

(The above was a really drab day so it took a lot of post work to get that out of the image, but I'm fairly pleased.)

Also some tests of the F40fd at high-ISO:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=77225
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    digital504 wrote:
    So shoot all canon professional gear, but I dont always want to carry it around. I'm really looking to get a compact point and shoot digital that is good in low light. Through my own searching I found the Panasonic LX3 to be great in low light, but they not in stock any where ! I have been on a waiting list with Adorama since April and I'm kinda sick of waiting.

So any one have any advice ? Whats the best compact point and shoot for low light shots with the least amount of noise.

Thanks

I like Panasonic. I have a TZ5, but I did use a Fuji S100FS to take all of these.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited July 22, 2009
    Just today Fuji announced an interesting new P&S, the F70EXR:

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/digital_cameras/f/finepix_f70exr/specifications/index.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums