Mendocino in IR

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited July 23, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Had a chance to not only take a drive through Mendocino's vineyards but shoot some IR as well. I really gotta get me one of these! I love the challenge of "seeing" an image composed in blacks and whites:

596136781_Sn7mt-L.jpg

596131295_s3XNC-L.jpg

596195611_8tn8r-L.jpg

596188694_D8uqG-L.jpg

596187952_sG2eA-XL.jpg

The other lesson I learned is that it is unbelievably hot in the valleys of CA in July! :whew

Hope to be shooting more in IR soon. The stuff I see in here and in the League is inspiring! :D

Comments

• KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    The stuff I see in here and in the League is inspiring! :D

Nicely done Steph! I really like these, especially #1. You're right about the IR stuff here and in the League being inspiring. Caused me to convert my "relatively" new D70. Which in turn made me have to buy a D300 to replace it since it was at that time my only DSLR. Was rather painful at the time but I haven't looked back since. I'm looking forward to more of your IR stuff. Thanks for sharing.
    — Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    Beautiful series. EXIF shows these were taken with a 5D; talk about IR heaven in FF. These inspire me to go out and shoot some IR stuff.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • tisuntisun Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    Schmoo,

You have explored quite a few places in the state since you moved to CA. I haven't even been to Mendocino. Isn't it nice to be able to shoot landscape in the middle of the day without blowing out highlights? Yep, it's very hot in Napa Valley and Sonoma nowadays.

Anthony
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    Hey Kevin, that's great to know you took the leap! I do have a 30D sitting in storage that I keep meaning to get converted but putting off. Andy keeps touting the virtues and convenience of just converting a good point-and-shoot (his is currently the SD960) but I kind of like having a DSLR for this, I guess.
    edited July 22, 2009
    Cuong wrote:
    Beautiful series. EXIF shows these were taken with a 5D; talk about IR heaven in FF. These inspire me to go out and shoot some IR stuff.

Cuong

Hi Cuong, yeah! I do admit it was really nice not having to sacrifice sensor space. I borrowed this one from a friend/coworker and yes it was really nice that I had all the same dials and menus that I am already familiar with on the 5DmII.

I doubt I would spring for such a luxury for my own, but it sure is nice to rent for a day. :D
    edited July 22, 2009
    tisun wrote:
    Schmoo,

You have explored quite a few places in the state since you moved to CA. I haven't even been to Mendocino. Isn't it nice to be able to shoot landscape in the middle of the day without blowing out highlights? Yep, it's very hot in Napa Valley and Sonoma nowadays.

Anthony

Anthony, absolutely! If I'm traveling anywhere, I usually shoot anyway but I never really "do" anything with them because of how flat the light is. In my mind, the hours between 9 AM - 4 PM are a waste. :D It's so great to shoot all you want in IR, and I should try to remember that when I browse Maxmax's site... lol3.gif
  • CavalierPhotoCavalierPhoto Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    Good stuff thumb.gif keep 'em coming...

Dig how the fence in 1 leads the eye to the house and in B&W the grain of the wood really pops.

The shot of the wine glass is cool also. Very nice bokeh.

BTW - pull the trigger on the 30D ... you won't regret it. Convenience is one thing but being able to swap glass will go miles more. And yes, with IR it seems to works best in either all or nothing lighting situations.
  • tisuntisun Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    Hey Kevin, that's great to know you took the leap! I do have a 30D sitting in storage that I keep meaning to get converted but putting off. Andy keeps touting the virtues and convenience of just converting a good point-and-shoot (his is currently the SD960) but I kind of like having a DSLR for this, I guess.
    Schmoo,

Convert you 30D, like Cuong just did. That is what I used for the shots in this thread. Much easier to use than the G6 P&S that I've been using. I can't wait to convert my 30D but that has to wait until I get a FF to replace it.

Anthony
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    Howdy Steph,

Very nicely done, really like all the great compositions and subjects, but my favorite is the row of vines with those really neat clouds!!!

Great depth of field and fine details.

I think you certainly deserved that nice glass of wine as a reward for what
    you've presented us with.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    Had a chance to not only take a drive through Mendocino's vineyards but shoot some IR as well. I really gotta get me one of these! I love the challenge of "seeing" an image composed in blacks and whites:

The other lesson I learned is that it is unbelievably hot in the valleys of CA in July! :whew

Hope to be shooting more in IR soon. The stuff I see in here and in the League is inspiring! :D

Hi Stef, too bad you have to hand the camera back hu rolleyes1.gif
    Gosh I haven't photographed anything for months now.

IR are fun to edit, it's really person taste how far you go with contrast or even using False Colour, it's fun experimenting in Post Processing.

Looks like you had a successful time,
    My favourites are the first 3 shots clap.gif

Thanks for sharing .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    Woohoo!! We have another IR shooter! Lookin' good, Steph! thumb.gifthumb

Here's my false color IR workflow. It works for IRs shot with an R72. I'm not sure if it will work for IR converted cameras. Give it a try, let me know how it goes.