Next Lens

WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
edited August 2, 2009 in Cameras
First, let me say that I love these forums and the info they provide. Second, I have used the search function and looked up all kinds of info and read tons. Still want to ask since I am still a bit unsure.

I have a Rebel Xti and would love to upgrade but I have learned that glass should come first since my Xti is serving me well for now.

I have the kit lens 18-55 and it's useless. I also have the fantastic plastic (50mm 1.8) and I love it.

I am looking for a great all around lens to replace the kit lens. My wife has given me the green light on a piece of L glass! :clap I have to keep it under $1200.

1. Is image stabilization worth it?
2. I would like to keep a constant aperture (2.8, 4?).

Thanks in advance for any input.
Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited July 23, 2009
    Michael,

Without reservation I can recommend the Canon EF-S 17-55mm, f/2.8 IS USM. While it lacks the "L" designation that is only because of the somewhat more plastic construction and EF-S flange. The optics are very much "L" quality as is the USM AF speed and accuracy. This is a pro quality lens by resulting images and I truly would replace that lens in an instant if something happened to my copy.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    I occasionaly still bug the wife for permission to get the 17-55, but she repeatedly says no with the justification that someday we might move to a full frame camera, or at least a 1D. So only EF lenses for me.

But to cover that range we did pick up an EF 17-40 f/4L USM lens that I am very happy with. Of course it is also my slowest lens and use it mostly outdoors because of it.

But there is still good news...

The 17-40 can be picked up cheap, I got mine used for $550 Canadian. In your case if the determining factor is budget, not number of lenses, you still have $650 left to spend.
  • Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    For L Glass: the 135 f/2L, 70-200 f/2.8L (non IS [and used]), 70-200 f/4L IS, 200 f/2.8L, are all excellent and within your budget. The 24-70 f.2.8L is right outside your price range, but you could find it used within your price range..

the 17-55 f/2.8 ziggy recommended is excellent! I use an off-brand version of this lens, and it is my main walk around lens as of right now. (that might change when I get my 80-200 f/2.8L "magic drainpipe" in later today!clap.gif)
    Jer
  • WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    Thank you guys so much for the insight. I might lean towards Ziggy's suggestion. I was shying away from crop lens but that might be the way to go.

Thanks again.
    Michael

Facebook
    edited July 23, 2009
    Did it!

I just ordered the EF-S 17-55 IS 2.8!!!! WOO HOO!

Should be here on Sat or Monday if they don't deliver on Sat.
    wings.gif
    Michael

Facebook
    edited July 23, 2009
    Wachel wrote:
    Did it!

wings.gif

Congrats! Where did you get it from?

None of the parcel services deliver on Saturdays... sadly :cry... so Monday...
    Jer
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    Wachel wrote:
    Did it!

wings.gif
    Congrats - you're going to love that lens! It's pretty much my go-to lens for most things indoors and many things outdoors! If you later decide to drop the crop body in favor of a FF, the 17-55 will retain a large percentage of it's purchase price when it comes time for re-sale. It's a much favored lens!
    edited July 23, 2009
    I checked Amazon, B&H and Adorama. Amazon wouldn't ship it to me because I am in AK. So I went with Adorama...$37.00 for shipping! That is the price we pay for living in Alaska. Still cheaper than buying it here in town.

Before I jump to a full frame I will probably end up with a 50D or it's successor. So I will have a crop for at least 5+ years. I am sure this lens will get tons of usage.

Seriously, thanks for all the input from everyone. This site is great and the people are helpful.
    Michael

Facebook
    edited July 23, 2009
    You'll love the 50D, or any camera similar! Best upgrade I ever made... XSI -> 50D

And its always good to have a crop sensor camera... for those photos that require a little extra reach with a telephoto.
    Jer
    edited July 25, 2009
    Oh man...my lens got into Anchorage, AK at 7pm tonight! It is scheduled for delivery on Monday. This is going to be a LONG weekend!

Luckily, I have to work so that will keep me busy.
    Michael

Facebook
    edited July 25, 2009
    Wachel wrote:
    Oh man...my lens got into Anchorage, AK at 7pm tonight! It is scheduled for delivery on Monday. This is going to be a LONG weekend!

Luckily, I have to work so that will keep me busy.
    Ahh, I hate waiting for shipments over weekends! Why can't they just work EVERYDAY!! Come-on! haha
    Jer
    edited August 2, 2009
    I got the lens and finally got to the park today with the kids. Here are a few shots with the new toy! I love it.

608292202_6HgAj-L.jpg

608291288_ZUB86-L.jpg

608294199_MFEnJ-L.jpg

608292896_bCTCw-L.jpg

They are just some quick snaps from our park adventure. What a blast!
    Michael

Facebook
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited August 2, 2009
    Congratulations Michael. clap.gif

It looks like you, the camera and the new lens are firing on all cylinders. (Looking good, in other words.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited August 2, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Congratulations Michael. clap.gif

It looks like you, the camera and the new lens are firing on all cylinders. (Looking good, in other words.)

Thanks for the kind words. I have a lot to learn but this lens sure makes taking pictures more fun!

I thought it would be rude to ask for advice on what lens to get and then not share a few results.

WOO HOO! :ivar
    Michael

Facebook
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    Wachel wrote:
    Thanks for the kind words. I have a lot to learn but this lens sure makes taking pictures more fun!

I thought it would be rude to ask for advice on what lens to get and then not share a few results.

WOO HOO! :ivar
    I don't know about rude, but it sure is nice when people close the loop on something like this .... especially with such a successful and happy ending. Those shots are NICE! That shot of your CKCS is very, very nice - appears to be tack-sharp!

Congrats on the nice lens!