40th Anniversary Session/

JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
edited July 23, 2009 in People
On Saturday, I had the awesome opportunity to photograph my Pastors for their 40th Anniversary. I will admit, I was a little nervous about taking their pictures. I wanted to make sure that I did a great job for them. Well, I think we had a great time. Once we got started, it all just flowed and I got to see a side of my Pastors that I’m not sure everyone has seen before. =)
CC is appreciated:D
*with the exception of the first one, these were all taken with my new sigma 17-70 lens.

594856618_cLsWK-L.jpg
594862378_dAZg5-L.jpg
598539063_CpmXc-L.jpg
598551802_f4Vix-L.jpg
599252183_MdGXc-L.jpg
599247356_oqSxL-L.jpg

Comments

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    1 and 2 are very well done.thumb.gif

I think maybe a tad more should be cropped from the bottom....and it could possibly stand more brightness, but I really like #5!
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    I laughed out loud at #6... It seems so incongruous to their personalities. I like it!

These are all very nicely done.

Some quick things you could do to these in post to make them just a smidge better:

#3- Her mascara is a little clumpy under her left eye. It is in all the photos, but that is the only one where I feel it is distracting enough to bother fixing.

#4- His tag... I wonder if you could clone it out? It wouldn't be too hard in that one.

#6- Could use some warming up. It is quite a bit cooler than the others.

He has a very appealing Mr. Rogers look to him. I can just visualize him doing a children's program- zipping up his cardigan and tossing his shoes from hand to hand. Great job catching his personality! That is tricky in stoic people.
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    I laughed out loud at #6... It seems so incongruous to their personalities. I like it!

These are all very nicely done.

Some quick things you could do to these in post to make them just a smidge better:

#3- Her mascara is a little clumpy under her left eye. It is in all the photos, but that is the only one where I feel it is distracting enough to bother fixing.

#4- His tag... I wonder if you could clone it out? It wouldn't be too hard in that one.

#6- Could use some warming up. It is quite a bit cooler than the others.

He has a very appealing Mr. Rogers look to him. I can just visualize him doing a children's program- zipping up his cardigan and tossing his shoes from hand to hand. Great job catching his personality! That is tricky in stoic people.

I saw the mascara in all the pics, but wasn't sure exactly how to clone that out. I found that he has quite a few skin tags. :) I did get rid of one in one picture. He is very Mr. Rogers (although I wouldnt tell him. lol)

Thanks to you and Jeff for the comments and CC
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    Actually I meant the tag on his shirt.... Skin tags should be left, as they are part of his face on his best day. You wouldn't remove an earlobe or something, would you? Only fix blemishes that are temporary, unless it is for a glamorized photo. Though sometimes I fix scarring, but usually only on the ladies.

To get rid of the mascara it should be simple... make a new layer, use the patch tool... (choose "source" option) and then circle around it and drag it to a part of her face that has no blemishes and similar skin texture. If it isn't perfect, then mask through to the original layer in the area around it. It really should be a simple fix. No more than 2 minutes, I should say.
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    umm.. yeah.. in my opinion these photos are way too 'happy-shiny-American-no-troubles-in-the-world' for my (European) taste. please dont take it personal as this is only my opinion but the people do not come across as genuine, especially the last two. I find it remarkable since you produce such nice work like here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=134650

oh well.. i could be horribly wrong, im > 6000 km away :D

On the technicallities: his shirt is blown which is pretty distracting to me.
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    umm.. yeah.. in my opinion these photos are way too 'happy-shiny-American-no-troubles-in-the-world' for my (European) taste. please dont take it personal as this is only my opinion but the people do not come across as genuine, especially the last two. I find it remarkable since you produce such nice work like here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=134650

oh well.. i could be horribly wrong, im > 6000 km away :D

On the technicallities: his shirt is blown which is pretty distracting to me.

I appreciate your honesty. I had a nervous start as I had to separate myself from church member/Pastor to photographer/subject. :D

We had a good time and they do love the pictures. They wanted something not stuffy and formal because they wanted to show that they are still having fun after all these years. :)

Thank you so much for the CC I do appreciate it. thumb.gif
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    glad you didnt mind me posting that!

the seperation part may be explanatory why you kept it on the safe side, but its a step back in my view (because your other work is nice! thumb.gif)

oh well, as long as they are happy with it, thats whats important!
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com