Options

Linhof Deluxe Studio Tripod Model VII

thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
edited July 23, 2009 in Accessories
Is anyone familiar with this tripod?

I know it's probably 20 or 30 years old but I am curious of the quality/usability. I have located one for $30 and, though that seems like an excellent price, it certainly wouldn't be worth it if the tripod was useless.

Thanks in advance.
Travis

Comments

• Options
    edited July 23, 2009
    These photos are kind of small but might help...

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

It still has the original tags on it...
    Travis
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,915 moderator
    edited July 23, 2009
    This appears to be just the legs. You would need to add a head for general photography. It was probably very sturdy in its day, but there is no way to tell how sturdy it might be today. I would bet that it was originally designed for a large format view camera application. Big and heavy are probably appropriate descriptive terms.

Unless you have return privileges or unless you can afford to risk the entire cost, I'm afraid I would not recommend it.

Used equipment is best purchased from a reputable source with accurate descriptions and consistent grading so you know what you're getting in terms of condition.

Then again, if big and heavy is what you want and you know you can afford the risks as well as affording a head and "maybe" an adapter, it's not that much money.

If these are not your images I would appreciate it if you would convert them to links instead as we have a policy against displaying embedded images except those that are your own, due to copyright infringement issues (which have gotten other sites in trouble.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    This appears to be just the legs. You would need to add a head for general photography. It was probably very sturdy in its day, but there is no way to tell how sturdy it might be today. I would bet that it was originally designed for a large format view camera application. Big and heavy are probably appropriate descriptive terms.

Unless you have return privileges or unless you can afford to risk the entire cost, I'm afraid I would not recommend it.

Used equipment is best purchased from a reputable source with accurate descriptions and consistent grading so you know what you're getting in terms of condition.

Then again, if big and heavy is what you want and you know you can afford the risks as well as affording a head and "maybe" an adapter, it's not that much money.

If these are not your images I would appreciate it if you would convert them to links instead as we have a policy against displaying embedded images except those that are your own, due to copyright infringement issues (which have gotten other sites in trouble.)

Thanks for the reply Ziggy. Yes, it is just the legs so a head of some kind would have to be purchased as well. For $30, though, it seems like it might be worth trying. It's a local craiglist purchase so there woulnd't be any return policy I'm sure.

I apologize for the images; I know better than that. I'll get them fixed. :)
    Travis
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,915 moderator
    edited July 23, 2009
    It looks like I was thinking of the "Studio" model tripods as being big and heavy and designed for large format. This model seems somewhat smaller, so it might be OK for an SLR.

If you get to inspect the tripod prior to purchase that would be fine for you to make a determination as to suitability for your use.

Most tripod legs use either 1/4" common (coarse) thread or a 3/8" thread for attaching the head. Just make sure you can mate your desired head should you decide the legs are otherwise suitable.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    It looks like I was thinking of the "Studio" model tripods as being big and heavy and designed for large format. This model seems somewhat smaller, so it might be OK for an SLR.

If you get to inspect the tripod prior to purchase that would be fine for you to make a determination as to suitability for your use.

Most tripod legs use either 1/4" common (coarse) thread or a 3/8" thread for attaching the head. Just make sure you can mate your desired head should you decide the legs are otherwise suitable.
    Thanks again ziggy. Some of Linhofs old tripods seem to be monsters but I didn't think this looked like one of them. I'm sure it's still heavy by today's standards but I would be using in a studio environment anyway so that would be ok. It does use a 1/4" bolt so finding the right head shouldn't be hard.

I haven't made up my mind just yet but I will let you know what I find should I go ahead and pick it up. I appreciate your thoughts on it!
    Travis