Cowboy

rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
edited July 26, 2009 in People
Randy

Comments

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    I like it Randy....it almost has a painterly feel to it. Its gritty, sweaty, and well composed.

Why does the mustache appear BW when the rest is toned? Or are my eyes tricking me?
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I like it Randy....it almost has a painterly feel to it. Its gritty, sweaty, and well composed.

Why does the mustache appear BW when the rest is toned? Or are my eyes tricking me?

I don't know Jeff, probably due to the mustache not having any color pigment. I didn't just apply toning to the image per se, so it didn't just globally tone everything. I'll try toning it separately to see how it looks.

Thanks for the nice words and taking the time to look/comment thumb.gif
    Randy
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    I don't know Jeff, probably due to the mustache not having any color pigment. I didn't just apply toning to the image per se, so it didn't just globally tone everything. I'll try toning it separately to see how it looks.

Thanks for the nice words and taking the time to look/comment thumb.gif

Well...I wasnt suggesting you change a thing...it was merely an observation. I like it as is.

How is it toned? I use a variety of methods, and any will do, but if I truely am trying to be meticulous with it I will use Photoshop's duo and tri-toning tools.

The tinting tool in Photoshop's BW conversion window is my least favorite method as I find it often will go to posterization in areas where I think it shouldn't.

Lightroom is a safe bet usually and requires very little "work".
    edited July 23, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Well...I wasnt suggesting you change a thing...it was merely an observation. I like it as is.

How is it toned? I use a variety of methods, and any will do, but if I truely am trying to be meticulous with it I will use Photoshop's duo and tri-toning tools.

The tinting tool in Photoshop's BW conversion window is my least favorite method as I find it often will go to posterization in areas where I think it shouldn't.

Lightroom is a safe bet usually and requires very little "work".

I didn't take it as a poke in the eye :D

It's interesting that an area without tone/color (IE:naturally grey and white) didn't take on any different tone as did the other areas that had color. It makes sense, but I hadn't thought to keep an eye on that before. Thanks for pointing it out.

I've been making myself live in LR2 lately, but this one was done in PS. No toning presets were used here. I have been working on creating some processes (AKA - making some actions), tweaking them here and there. Several layers, saturate ~ de-saturate, etc.

Thanks again thumb.gif
    Randy
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    Randy, great headshot, love the treatment! clap.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    I love the shot Randy. I was just admiring the American farmers portraits by Paul Mobley in the new Rangefinder and this one holds just as much interest as those. Very well done. thumb.gif
    Travis
    edited July 23, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Randy, great headshot, love the treatment! clap.gif

Thanks Nik
    Randy
    edited July 23, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    I love the shot Randy. I was just admiring the American farmers portraits by Paul Mobley in the new Rangefinder and this one holds just as much interest as those. Very well done. thumb.gif

That's a nice thing to hear Travis. Thank you thumb.gif
    Randy
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    599924359_gbGt8-L.jpg

Sure nuf' is a cowboy...
  • Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    I like this as well! I get the sense that he just got back from a long cattle drive or is on one, looking back for strays. :D

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
    edited July 23, 2009
    Sure nuf' is a cowboy...

Thanks for looking
    Randy
    edited July 23, 2009
    I love everything, especially the processing! thumb.giflust

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Glad you liked it thumb.gif
    Randy
    edited July 23, 2009
    BroPhoto wrote:
    I like this as well! I get the sense that he just got back from a long cattle drive or is on one, looking back for strays. :D

GaryB

Gary,

I'm pleased that you get a sense of a cowboy's life/work from the image. I'm trying to do my part to keep our Western heritage alive.

Thanks for the comments.
    Randy
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    Nice image Randy.... Treatment & subject just right

Rags
    Rags
    edited July 23, 2009
    torags wrote:
    Nice image Randy.... Treatment & subject just right

Rags

Thanks Rags,

I appreciate any feedback/comments thumb.gif
    Randy
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2009
    Love it. Wonderful capture of the spirit. How did you light this?
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    edited July 25, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Love it. Wonderful capture of the spirit. How did you light this?

Thank you sir...

I let nature take it's course, this was shot available light before sundown.
    85mm @ f/1.8 ~ He was actually sitting on his horse.
    Randy
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    He was actually sitting on his horse.

Do you have any shots of him with his horse? If you do, I'd love to see those too!

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
    edited July 26, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Thank you sir...

I let nature take it's course, this was shot available light before sundown.
    85mm @ f/1.8 ~ He was actually sitting on his horse.

It is wonderful whe the lighting just works in your favor like that. For me, that's a rarity, but I'm workig on it...
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2009
    Randy

I don't like being the odd man out, however... I like the photo...in fact, it's an excellent photo...and I take it that he was sweating. If you look at the bottom of his nose, it looks white...not like sweat white...like loss of pigment white. I guess white isn't quite right given your processing...but there is an obvious demarcation between the tan of the nose and the discoloration around the nostrils.

It may just be me. I am on my laptop. Hmmm...what do you think...anybody?

Just wondering if it's only me that sees it that way?
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
    edited July 26, 2009
    It isn't yor laptop. I think I just parsed it all in with the high contrast of the rest of his face, so it worked for me. If I focus on it, though, it does seem to be a bit whiter than the other white-ish areas. Still love the pic, though.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited July 26, 2009
    Ed911 wrote:
    Randy

I don't like being the odd man out, however... I like the photo...in fact, it's an excellent photo...and I take it that he was sweating. If you look at the bottom of his nose, it looks white...not like sweat white...like loss of pigment white. I guess white isn't quite right given your processing...but there is an obvious demarcation between the tan of the nose and the discoloration around the nostrils.

It may just be me. I am on my laptop. Hmmm...what do you think...anybody?

Just wondering if it's only me that sees it that way?

Hey Ed,

Don't worry about feeling like the odd man out.

If I understand what your referring to, that's the shadow line from his hat. It was there in the SOOC shot. I could fix it I guess, but just chose to let it be as it was.

Thanks for taking the time to look, and for your input thumb.gif
    Randy