Options

Filter stuck.

DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
edited June 24, 2005 in Cameras
I somehow managed to tighten the polorized filter onto one of my lenses way too tight, dunno how, but I did. Now I've tried for hours to get the darned thing off, but no luck. Anyone know of a tool or a way to get them off?

These stupid things hate me. eek7.gif
Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.

Comments

• Options
    BobBob Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited June 23, 2005
    I somehow managed to tighten the polorized filter onto one of my lenses way too tight, dunno how, but I did. Now I've tried for hours to get the darned thing off, but no luck. Anyone know of a tool or a way to get them off?

These stupid things hate me. eek7.gif
    Go to your local camera shop and get a "filter wrench". Here's the first link that popped up in Google that has a picture of the things ... Filter Wrench

Good Luck!

Bob

edited because I can't type before morning caffee ...
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2005
    Try a fat rubber band around it to get some more grip. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    Try a fat rubber band around it to get some more grip. ne_nau.gif

nod.gifnod.gif works like a charm

also the flat rubber disk that is used to unscrew stuck jar tops deal.gif
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2005
    If all of those ideas do not work (and they do 99.99% of the time) then try some WD-40 on a Q-tip and spread it around the edge of the filter and lens, tap the filter ring with the handle of a screwdriver then try the above. This works when the mount is rusted, it has happened.

If that will not work you may be able to remove the glass from the filter by removing a retaining ring, either a clip or screw-in, then have more leverage.
  • Options
    Red BaronRed Baron Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited June 23, 2005
    I agree that the above suggestions will work in almost all cases. If not, you can also try heating the filter ring using a hair dryer in conjunction with the above methods.
  • Options
    DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2005
    The rubberband worked PERFECTLY! Thanks guys! :)
    Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,210 moderator
    edited June 24, 2005
    The rubberband worked PERFECTLY! Thanks guys! :)
    The rubber band trick has worked for me for many years. I keep two in my camera bag, and it doesn't cost very much to upgrade them when they dry rot. I taught the wife how to use rubber bands to get stuck jar lids off in the kitchen.

Rubber bands - is there anything they can't do?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky