Model A

rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
edited July 25, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Randy

Comments

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    Ohhhh...I love #4! clap.gif I had to do a double take on it to make sure you actually hadn't traveled back in time. :D The way you processed all these shots is very appealing. At least I think it is. The background is nice and subtle but the car just screams for attention and gets it. thumb.gif
  • fastfocifastfoci Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    i agree #4 is really good. the background makes it seem old.
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    I like the position of the car in 1 & 2. The pp is fabulous so you will have to share how you did it! There is just something about those classics.
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    Love these shots! Especially #4. The PP gives it a unique look.
    — Kevin
    P.S. Is Riscky's BBQ still there?
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    Wow Wow Wow Randy. This is without doubt the most unusual B&W conversion I've ever seen. I absolutely love it bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif I agree with Eia, Howd'ja do it??? Is there some HDR hiding in there??? Inquiring minds want to know.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    Howd'ja do it??? Is there some HDR hiding in there??? Inquiring minds want to know.

Do tell! :lurk
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    This series is terrific! thumb.gif

And I have to say, Randy, all your recent shots have absolutely AWESOME processing (great shots, too, but you're taking them to a new level with the pp)
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    Howdy Randy,

Really like these, great perspectives and subject.

Nice post processing, would these be considered what they call "High Key?"

Very nicely done!!!

Have you ever shot any of the Behind the Scenes or the River that Runs under Exchange???:D
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    Ohhhh...I love #4! clap.gif I had to do a double take on it to make sure you actually hadn't traveled back in time. :D The way you processed all these shots is very appealing. At least I think it is. The background is nice and subtle but the car just screams for attention and gets it. thumb.gif

Thanks Linda,

Yeah, #4 goes along the line of an old style photograph. Due to the equipment & process, they usually had blown highlights & plugged shadows. You would think that this would be easy to re-create, but I've put quite a bit of study and effort into identifying the qualities, and for me, it's none to easy to create a believable old looking photo.
    Randy
    edited July 25, 2009
    fastfoci wrote:
    i agree #4 is really good. the background makes it seem old.

Appreciate that.
    Randy
    edited July 25, 2009
    Eia wrote:
    I like the position of the car in 1 & 2. The pp is fabulous so you will have to share how you did it! There is just something about those classics.

The processing in #1 & #4 are all done in LR2. #2 & #3 did get a little HDR help.

Basically, convert to B&W with deep rich blacks, then go back and dodge everything you want lighter, including lifting the shadow areas of your subject(s)

Thanks for the comments Eia thumb.gif
    Randy
    edited July 25, 2009
    KevXman wrote:
    Love these shots! Especially #4. The PP gives it a unique look.
    — Kevin
    P.S. Is Riscky's BBQ still there?

Thanks Kevin for commenting.

Oh YES, Riscky's BBQ is still in the Stockyards. Give a shout when you're going to be there, I'd try to meet you there if I'm around.
    Randy
    edited July 25, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    Wow Wow Wow Randy. This is without doubt the most unusual B&W conversion I've ever seen. I absolutely love it bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif I agree with Eia, Howd'ja do it??? Is there some HDR hiding in there??? Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks Jack for such a nice compliment thumb.gif

It's really not complicated, just a tad creative...

The processing in #1 & #4 are all done in LR2. #2 & #3 did get a little HDR help.

Basically, convert to B&W with deep rich blacks, then go back and dodge everything you want lighter, including lifting the shadow areas of your subject(s)
    Randy
    edited July 25, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    This series is terrific! thumb.gif

And I have to say, Randy, all your recent shots have absolutely AWESOME processing (great shots, too, but you're taking them to a new level with the pp)

Thank you Divamum. I do appreciate when someone takes the time to look and comment on my work.

As to the images & processing:

I think it was our own Shay who stated once: "Be the artist"

For me, this rings true. Once you get the technicals down, don't just drown in them, use them for something more than just creating "in-the-box" images. (unless that's your passion!!!)

Shooting for money, I've had my share of images that had to conform to this or that, and that's acceptable for that kind of work. But, for my own galleries, for the looks that I like, "normal" will be a bit hard to find. rolleyes1.gif

Yes, there is peer presure, but "Do what moves you!".
    Randy
    edited July 25, 2009
    Panther wrote:
    Howdy Randy,

Really like these, great perspectives and subject.

Nice post processing, would these be considered what they call "High Key?"

Very nicely done!!!

Have you ever shot any of the Behind the Scenes or the River that Runs under Exchange???:D

Hey Craig,

Hope the world is treating you well.

I guess they could be considered High Key, they do sort of fit that general description.

OK, do tell ~ "Behind the Scenes" & "River that runs under Exchange"
    Don't dry up on me now Craig :D I'm countin' on you Mr.

Got my ears on --- ear.gif
    Randy
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Thanks Jack for such a nice compliment thumb.gif

It's really not complicated, just a tad creative...

A TAD! You're too modest Randy
    rwells wrote:

Ah I thought so. Did you do the HDR before or after the B&W conversion? I wonder if it makes a difference.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)