[Toroweap] Some of My Images

theNOIZtheNOIZ Registered Users Posts: 272 Major grins
edited July 26, 2009 in Landscapes
It's been "the week of the Toroweap" here on DGrin. :D I'm still working on several, but here's a few:

1. Toroweap Postcard - crazy DOF with a yellow-ish tint just for fun.
600224164_T8UVu-L.jpg

2. Obligatory pano not far from camp.
600224141_5f2Z3-L.jpg

3. Desert Landscape
600224061_TKTRn-L.jpg

4. Sunset at Toroweap
600224227_Rib8T-L.jpg

Comments

• thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    Great, cool effects, Shaun! Very artistic and different! I think I like the last shot with high contrast HDR best. thumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • RobbugRobbug Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    Great set. #3 really grabbed my eye. Loved the contrasting colors.

Rob
    www.refractivephotos.com

The Holy Trinity of Photography - Light, Color, and Gesture
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    Some pretty cool effects. I usually hate overdone HDR's but #3 is quite sweet and #4 is so over the top that I really like it. thumb.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    I'm going to be different and say I like #1. The others are nice but the first shot in this series is really the stand out to me.
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    Shaun I didnt expect to see one like #1... good call man!thumb.gif and I do like your processing, its over the top which is not a bad thing, it just gives us something to argue about on our next tripthumb.gif it was so cool to adventure the wild with ya! now lets get Bill over there some day!
    Aaron Nelson
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    The effects on 1 and 4 are really cool. thumb.gif
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    Nicely done overall. I like #1, the selective focus look makes it look like a scale model, and the last one is very dark and moody, like Lord of the Rings moody.
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    Nice set Shaun.... I like the last one the best........thumb.gif azzaro
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    That first one is another one of those shots that give me vertigo; gives a feeling to the seriousness of the canyon! Those colors are crazy!! Love em!!!! :D the last looks like a sci-fi movie set...cool!
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    Cool set Shaun. I generally like surreal HDR, and yours are no exception. Good job man. clap.gif

Danny
  • sgonensgonen Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    Cool effects Shaun, #4 is my favorite, you are an artist.
  • e mari ad terrame mari ad terram Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    I really like #1. Reminds me of the old west. Like Louis L'Amour old west... totally Stories of the Golden West... thumb.gif
    Fear evaporates when we realize that our life stories and the history of the world were written with the same hand.
  • theNOIZtheNOIZ Registered Users Posts: 272 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2009
    Thanks everyone for the compliments. I admit, I have a lot to learn about landscape photography, and I was certainly in the right company! When you have 5 guys lined up on a cliff, it's hard to say who's shots are going to stand out as unique, that's why I process mine the way I did.

Dan, you gotta try Topaz Adjust. Trust me, this plug-in is right up your alley. mwink.gif Run your HDR's through Photomatix and then try some creative stuff in Topaz Adjust.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2009
    Shaun-

Excellent series! I have a hard time choosing between 1 and 4, but I think 1 gets the nod. I'm drawn to the greenish river first, both for the color and for the way it shows the vastness of the canyon--those enormous, high walls with that tiny ribbon running through it. Wonderful shot!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,537 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2009
    dseidman wrote:
    I'm going to be different and say I like #1. The others are nice but the first shot in this series is really the stand out to me.

I agree. I like the play with the DOF.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited July 26, 2009
    Very cool shots, Shaun! You've got a very creative eye. I didn't know you were into HDRs. Funny, you were pretty quiet during the HDR debates under the big-top on Saturday. rolleyes1.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2009
    Hey Shaun, I took your advice and downloaded Topaz Fusion for Aperture which includes everything including Adjust. It's an OK plugin, but I don't see that it adds anything that I don't already have. In fact Aperture itself, does everything Adjust does. Granted, it has the pseudo HDR effects, but I get real HDR from Photomattix.

So, what am I missing? ne_nau.gif

Danny thumb.gif
    edited July 26, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Hey Shaun, I took your advice and downloaded Topaz Fusion for Aperture which includes everything including Adjust. It's an OK plugin, but I don't see that it adds anything that I don't already have. In fact Aperture itself, does everything Adjust does. Granted, it has the pseudo HDR effects, but I get real HDR from Photomattix.

So, what am I missing? ne_nau.gif

Danny thumb.gif
    If Aperture is giving you the detail controls and crispness, then you're set. This plug-in is new to me and I really like the results.
    edited July 26, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Very cool shots, Shaun! You've got a very creative eye. I didn't know you were into HDRs. Funny, you were pretty quiet during the HDR debates under the big-top on Saturday. rolleyes1.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
    Joel,

Why get into a pissing match with a bunch of nice people you just met? rolleyes1.gif

Here's my opinion in a nutshell. There's a time and a place for HDR. Just like there's a time and place to Photoshop something. However, just because you can, doesn't always mean you should. If you're going to use HDR on an image and create some heavy colors, extreme details and halos, then your photo is going to be critiqued on that. And if you're offended, tough crap. If you HDR, make yourself happy first, put on some thick skin and then see what feedback other people can give you. I submitted that last image to our local camera club for an open category in August. It will be interesting to hear what the judges say. I'm guessing some of the "seasoned members" are going to critique it very carefully. :D I would too. I think that photo is destined to be done in a metallic print by Mpix.com for my office wall.