sharpening

thaKingthaKing Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
edited July 24, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I usually sharpen my images using nik sharpener. I had planned on uploading my images after running it through nik. I noticed in the gallery settings there is an option for sharpening settings.

what do others do - do you sharpen first? what about the settings in the galleries?

Comments

• David ManningDavid Manning Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    I always sharpen my images before uploading, because they'll be downloaded or printed. I let SM sharpen the images for display. If you allow them to sharpen, they won't touch your originals.
  • mnscottmnscott Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    I sharpen my images before uploading to SM also, and still found they often looked soft at SM's default sharpening settings. For some reason, the softness was more obvious on B&W images - not sure why. Once I noticed it in B&W's though, I saw the softness in color images also. So I've increased the sharpening settings (amount and radius) in all of my galleries because of that. I think most folks just leave the default settings alone, but that didn't work for me.
    http://www.ssphotos.smugmug.com

Nikon D700 and some fun glass.
  • thaKingthaKing Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    so those sharpening settings are for display purposes only? ok, didn't know that...i thought those were added to the originals for printing too.

thanks for clarifying that...