father and son

VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
edited July 24, 2009 in People
from a recent session.. c & c welcome I have been struggling with skintones lately, any advice also welcome they are both wearing yellow shirts and Dad had a lot of red tones in face

600409054_6tuoK-L.jpg
Trudy
www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700

Comments

• bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    VayCayMom wrote:
    from a recent session.. c & c welcome I have been struggling with skintones lately, any advice also welcome they are both wearing yellow shirts and Dad had a lot of red tones in face

600409054_6tuoK-L.jpg

This is a really lovely image, though there is a real disconnect between father and son. That disconnect makes it a particularly interesting image, imho, but may or may not appeal to the father.
    In terms of the color, does this work better?
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    The composition is special as there is an obvious connection and relation, yet they are clearly two separate people. In fact, this is when I want to gush about beautiful men. Is it fair to assume this is work in a controlled space?

The eyes are the strength and weakness of this shot. They drew me in immediately. It might be impractical, but the reflections are bothersome. The one other nit is the space between the son's ear and the father's cheek. It's a bright spot that is close to centre frame and attracts attention.

The issue for me with the skin tone isn't the redness per se, its the change in color between the forehead and cheeks of the father. It starts with an orange cast around the hairline and becomes redder as you move down.

Other than that, this is a great masculine shot.
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    This would be a great shot if Dad had his face turned toward his son with his head touching his son and Dad with his eyes closed and cropped very tight. Then the son looking off would connect.
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    Ahhh thanks to all that commented. My monitor is not calibrated, I bought a Huey it is not working, arghh.

I was wondering if my color was too saturated? bdcolen, your image on my screen looks very pale. Honestly some days I look at what I did the day before and can't believe I was happy with that color yesterday.

I have more images from this shoot, I'll post later.

The story behind these two.... they were in front of a huge window that looks out to my pool. The 2 yr old wanted to go in the pool!!! Dad kept trying to pacify him, BUT all he could think about was the pool wings.gif , and we do live in AZ and it was over 100 degrees that day! And I was very happy to let him do a little swimming and then grab a few more shots!
    Trudy

NIKON D700
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    VayCayMom wrote:
    Ahhh thanks to all that commented. My monitor is not calibrated, I bought a Huey it is not working, arghh.

I was wondering if my color was too saturated? bdcolen, your image on my screen looks very pale. Honestly some days I look at what I did the day before and can't believe I was happy with that color yesterday.

I have more images from this shoot, I'll post later.

The story behind these two.... they were in front of a huge window that looks out to my pool. The 2 yr old wanted to go in the pool!!! Dad kept trying to pacify him, BUT all he could think about was the pool wings.gif , and we do live in AZ and it was over 100 degrees that day! And I was very happy to let him do a little swimming and then grab a few more shots!

I, too, am having color problems. It is paler than yours, but yours looks oversaturated to me. But I do not claim to be a PS maven in anything but black and white. ;-)

In any case, it is a really strong, compelling image, precisely because of the distance between father and son. Were the dad looking at the son and smiling, etc., it would be very sweet - and I'm sure would thrill Dad and Mom - but photographically it wouldn't be as interesting. But then I don't have to please Dad and Mom and you do. rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • DripfaucetDripfaucet Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    Hackbone wrote:
    This would be a great shot if Dad had his face turned toward his son with his head touching his son and Dad with his eyes closed and cropped very tight. Then the son looking off would connect.

I disagree with this suggestion. the suggested may make for a great shot, but i'd be a completely different shot. it's not this shot. what makes this shot intestesting is the unique eyes (and other features) bonding father and son together. You close the dad's eyes, and you've lost what makes THIS SHOT good. well done!
    Brad

wormer.smugmug.com
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    The composition is special as there is an obvious connection and relation, yet they are clearly two separate people. In fact, this is when I want to gush about beautiful men. Is it fair to assume this is work in a controlled space?

The eyes are the strength and weakness of this shot. They drew me in immediately. It might be impractical, but the reflections are bothersome. The one other nit is the space between the son's ear and the father's cheek. It's a bright spot that is close to centre frame and attracts attention.

The issue for me with the skin tone isn't the redness per se, its the change in color between the forehead and cheeks of the father. It starts with an orange cast around the hairline and becomes redder as you move down.

Other than that, this is a great masculine shot.

That spot between the ear and dad bothers me too! I need to fix that. The dad was quite over heated. he was red.. I am not sure how to decide how much help to give someone's complexion and when to
    just leave it be. Either his face was just like that or my diffused flash caused the difference in the dad's skin tones from one part to another. I didn't do any skin touchup.
    The large reflection is from the large window they sat in front of. Is that ever something that is touched up? Reduce the catchlights?Someone else mentioned this on another shot I did in this same window.
    Trudy

NIKON D700
  • GoofBcktGoofBckt Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    I think it's fabulous. Fix the little white spot then leave it alone! What I loved off the bat is that both father and son have the same color eyes, which are very unique to begin with. Close dad's eyes and you lose that. I don't think the skin tones are even an issue with this. It's beautiful. The reflections in the eyes don't even bother me much. This is true "life" you're looking at. Imperfections are part of life.
    Carrie
    VayCayMom wrote:
    That spot between the ear and dad bothers me too! I need to fix that. The dad was quite over heated. he was red.. I am not sure how to decide how much help to give someone's complexion and when to
    just leave it be. Either his face was just like that or my diffused flash caused the difference in the dad's skin tones from one part to another. I didn't do any skin touchup.
    The large reflection is from the large window they sat in front of. Is that ever something that is touched up? Reduce the catchlights?Someone else mentioned this on another shot I did in this same window.
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited July 24, 2009
    wow, where to go with this?

this image leaves me wanting more. i think there's great potential for these 2 strong faces.

unfortunately the contrast of dad staring into the camera with son staring blankly out of frame creates the feeling of ventriloquist and dummy. eek7.gif

it doesn't appear overly saturated to me but you're teasing the border of blowing highlights on the shirts and parts of the boy's face.

as was said, a bit more connection between dad & son would've made for a terrific portrait.