Too soft for success?

DripfaucetDripfaucet Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
edited July 25, 2009 in People
In the first image below is a moment that I felt I ALMOST captured. I really like the framing that occurred without any cropping, but it's just a little too soft for my taste. the second one is a little sharper in the sweet spot, but not quite as interesting. Two losers or is one a keeper? opinions welcome.

588449314_hgTnN-M.jpg

588449461_KEuQ4-M.jpg
Brad

wormer.smugmug.com

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    both keepers imo
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited July 24, 2009
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    Dripfaucet wrote:
    In the first image below is a moment that I felt I ALMOST captured. I really like the framing that occurred without any cropping, but it's just a little too soft for my taste. the second one is a little sharper in the sweet spot, but not quite as interesting. Two losers or is one a keeper? opinions welcome.

588449314_hgTnN-M.jpg

588449461_KEuQ4-M.jpg

I don't want to be mean, but, sorry - a miss is a miss. While there's no question a cropped head, arm, whatever, can be done quite successfully, this is chopped in such a way that it looks like what it is - a missframed shot.

The second one's fine - nice capture of a cute moment.

So call me a curmudgeon - if Wil doesn't mind. :D
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    I don't want to be mean, but, sorry - a miss is a miss. While there's no question a cropped head, arm, whatever, can be done quite successfully, this is chopped in such a way that it looks like what it is - a missframed shot.

The second one's fine - nice capture of a cute moment.

So call me a curmudgeon - if Wil doesn't mind. :D

Here's an example of a way it can work - Admittedly not nearly as cuterolleyes1.gif

600896569_ywxbE-XL.jpg
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    I have to agree with BD on this one... the major problem with the first shot is the composition, to me. The second one is definitely a keeper though.
  • Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2009
    I think the first would be better if the smile was there, but alas, its not, so it doesn't work.

the second is great - underexposed, but great... love the expression on his face!
    Jer
  • DripfaucetDripfaucet Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited July 25, 2009
    I think the first would be better if the smile was there, but alas, its not, so it doesn't work.

the second is great - underexposed, but great... love the expression on his face!

can you explain the under-exposure a little more? metering off his face, it seems to be about right (to me, but i'm a rookie). the sky is blown, the horn a bit shadowy...

all comments thus far are appreciated! good feedback.
    Brad

wormer.smugmug.com
  • Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2009
    Dripfaucet wrote:
    can you explain the under-exposure a little more? metering off his face, it seems to be about right (to me, but i'm a rookie). the sky is blown, the horn a bit shadowy...

all comments thus far are appreciated! good feedback.
    it may be my monitor... I really need to get it calibrated properly.

On my screen his skin, and the yellow.. um .. megaphone? look a tad dark.. not bad, just a bit. but like I said, don't take my comment too critical because I'm not calibrated!
    Jer
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2009
    its soft, its too cold, its blown out...

nothing to put in a portfolio perhaps but a nice lively moment captured, me thinks :D so i would say: succes!
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com