My First HDR

DripfaucetDripfaucet Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
edited July 29, 2009 in Landscapes
Just read about HDR and did these test shots. I downloaded the demo of photomatix, seems like a great tool, but I feel the skew cartoony with the tone mapping. From what I read, it's the program to use though.
These shots aren't great stand alone shots, but i'd appreciate any advice for producing better HDRs. Oh, and tripod. I need one. I used rocks here.

594958405_Vb56o-M.jpg

594958384_35Gsd-M.jpg
Brad

wormer.smugmug.com

Comments

• RidgetopRidgetop Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    Tripods and remote release make all the difference
    I really enjoy HDR and what's fun is you can pretty much chose any artistic route you want to go with it. I normally try to keep mine under control - not too outlandish on saturation, shadows, etc. because I like them to look as natural as possible. Other people like to go to the other extreme. Have fun with and play around a lot.
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    Nicely done! Very natural colors. thumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • UmmmHowsThatUmmmHowsThat Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    Do you have the originals handy? It looks like the second one really didn't need much, as there aren't many, if any, shadows and such.

The first one is pretty good, too, although is it still a bit dark on the building?
    -Bryan

• DripfaucetDripfaucet Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited July 25, 2009
    Do you have the originals handy? It looks like the second one really didn't need much, as there aren't many, if any, shadows and such.

The first one is pretty good, too, although is it still a bit dark on the building?

perhaps you are right on the first one. perhaps the same thing could have been achieved with just the tone mapping. hmm.

here are the barn originals:

600994982_5kK9G-M.jpg

600995012_5rq9k-M.jpg

600994959_JiZ5V-M.jpg
    Brad

wormer.smugmug.com
  • UmmmHowsThatUmmmHowsThat Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited July 25, 2009
    Using HDR the way it was meant thumb.gif
    -Bryan

• redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    I agree: based on the originals of the barn, I think HDR was the way to go and you did a nice job with it. The second one shows how it can enhance the colors but I don't think it was needed--but still a good way to learn. I look forward to seeing more of your HDR work.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • DripfaucetDripfaucet Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    redleash wrote:
    I agree: based on the originals of the barn, I think HDR was the way to go and you did a nice job with it. The second one shows how it can enhance the colors but I don't think it was needed--but still a good way to learn. I look forward to seeing more of your HDR work.

Lauren
    Th

thanks! it was definitely a situation where i was having trouble capturing the light as I saw it. Next step is to purchase the program and do some more. I will keep you posted!

Brad
    Brad

wormer.smugmug.com