Justin & his girlfriend

Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
edited July 30, 2009 in People
I took this shot of a friend of mine & his girlfriend while we were at the drag strip this past weekend. This was taken using natural light only. C&C welcomed.

601004688_uam8F-L.jpg

GaryB
GaryB
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams

Comments

• rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2009
    Nice looking couple. I think it is overexposed so some adjustments to darked it would make it better. I shallower DOF would have been nice to soft the background which is distracting IMHO. I do like the highlight the sun has place on her hair.
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2009
    I agree w/ Rhondavid. Also (and I do this all the time still), the sun is hitting the man on the right side of his face in a block, which doesn't look good. The woman is nicely lit by the sun with even tones, and the sun (which I'm guessing is still pretty high and to the camera's right and somewhat behind the couple), the sun is giving a nice highlight to her hair.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2009
    That photo was taken using the kit lens (18-70 4-5.6 I definately need to get some faster glass) in the pits at the drag strip. Justin wanted that photo taken in front of his dad's race car, and that was the best I could get at that time of day. When I get some free time, I'm going to play with that photo in Apeture and see if I can fix some of the short comings that some of you mentioned. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do with the background?

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
    edited July 26, 2009
    I don't know Aperture, but from a CS/PS point of view, can you select the background parts, build up your mask and apply some blur to it?

You noted that he want the picture with the car, but you can't tell that from the picture. The red car immediately behind them looks like it just happened to be there -- it doesn't feel like it is part of the photo.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited July 27, 2009
    I played with the raw file in apeture. I used the dodge tool on the background to lighten it, and the clone tool to darken the light spot on Justin's cheek. Does this look any better? I'm just learning apeture,so I'm sure I've made some mistakes.

602899676_zHsth-L.jpg

GaryB
    GaryB
    edited July 27, 2009
    You might have wanted to go the other way. Burn the background and dodge the subjects so they are the brightest thing in the image. They feel underexposed.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited July 30, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    You might have wanted to go the other way. Burn the background and dodge the subjects so they are the brightest thing in the image. They feel underexposed.

Ooops, my bad! I'll work on that, and repost when I get a chance.

GaryB
    GaryB