Options

A few macros from the last few days

Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
edited June 25, 2005 in Holy Macro
Warned you- been taking a lot of pics recently.

First the flies

Anybody down there?

CRW_4479c.jpg

Mum someone turned the lights off

CRW_4493c.jpg

Got my swimming trunks on - where's the water?

CRW_4502c.jpg

Now a few other assorted insects

Bottoms up

CRW_4556c.jpg

Chuff chuff or rather chew chew.

CRW_4569c.jpg

Spider and bumble bee- reminded me of a certain photographic style (not sure what it is).

CRW_4652c.jpg

Now part of a sequence of a leaf hopper that I wanted to photograph blowing it's spittle - however things turned out different.

CRW_4589c.jpg

CRW_4593c.jpg

I'm nackered

CRW_4598c.jpg

Ok recovered now

CRW_4636c.jpg

Comments

• Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2005
    Cool shots. Thanks for sharing these. Love the flys.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2005
    Another set of good shots.
    Hi Brian,
    I really like the lighting you used on #2. It's different, but effective; still plenty of detail and nice effectthumb.gif. I think this one works better than your disco one, which I did like also.

Thanks for sharing these wonderful shots,
    Chris

And I never get tired of looking at macros or photos as a whole. Keep'em coming:D.

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• Options
    DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2005
    Hey what are you shooting with? Those are amazingly sharp and close up!
    Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2005
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Cool shots. Thanks for sharing these. Love the flys.
    Thanks Thomas- don't seem to be able to get away from the flies :).

Brian V.
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2005
    Hi Brian,
    I really like the lighting you used on #2. It's different, but effective; still plenty of detail and nice effectthumb.gif. I think this one works better than your disco one, which I did like also.

Thanks for sharing these wonderful shots,
    Chris

And I never get tired of looking at macros or photos as a whole. Keep'em coming:D.
    Thanks Chris. Think I got a bit of the light creeping over the edge of the leaf on the shot- helped it a bit. Think maybe I need a second flash.

brian V.
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2005
    Hey what are you shooting with? Those are amazingly sharp and close up!
    Thanks Maverick
    EOS 300D with sigma 105mm EX macro lens and sigma 500 super dg flash gun and a lot of practice.
    Brian V.
  • Options
    DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2005
    I need to get that 105mm Macro. I have the 180mm, it's fun, but it's just WAY too bulky and heavy. It makes it really hard to take the shots I want.
    Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2005
    Great set. I really like #2. The lighting is awesome. It's nice to see the landscape for the insect to be brought into it with such wonderful color and texture.thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2005
    Khaos wrote:
    Great set. I really like #2. The lighting is awesome. It's nice to see the landscape for the insect to be brought into it with such wonderful color and texture.thumb.gif
    Thanks Khaos, I like to play with the lighting every now and then but it is virtually impossible to tell how the shot will actually turn out- some work some don't.

Brian V.
  • Options
    douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2005
    Great series, i like # 3 the best. The fly itself is great and the colors and texture of the leaf on the black background top off the photo nicely.

Best regards,
    douglas
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2005
    douglas wrote:
    Great series, i like # 3 the best. The fly itself is great and the colors and texture of the leaf on the black background top off the photo nicely.

Best regards,
    douglas
    Thanks Douglas.
    Always interesting to post a series of pics and see what different people like. I actually liked #5 and #6 the best, but that maybe because they are different subjects/styles to my "norm".
    Brian V.
  • Options
    wanderingeyewanderingeye Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited June 24, 2005
    Sweeeet!
    REALLY nice work, Brian! Your technique is impeccable. I particularly like #1 for the overall comp and the lighting of the fly's eye; the emerging leafhopper is really great too.

Would it be possible for you to post exif for these or your next posts so that aspiring macroholics like me can learn from your decisions about exposure and so forth? I just got the Canon 100mm and I'm cllimbing that learning curve.
    David Cothran (Wandering Eye)
    http://www.wandering-eye.com

"the days run away like wild horses over the hills"
    Bukowski
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2005
    REALLY nice work, Brian! Your technique is impeccable. I particularly like #1 for the overall comp and the lighting of the fly's eye; the emerging leafhopper is really great too.

Would it be possible for you to post exif for these or your next posts so that aspiring macroholics like me can learn from your decisions about exposure and so forth? I just got the Canon 100mm and I'm cllimbing that learning curve.
    Thanks wandering eye.
    EXIF data shot in raw F16, 1/200th sec, ISO 100. Flash fired. Handheld, camera in manual mode, manual focus. Flash in ETTL mode. Raw processed using Canon DPP software minor cropping of JPG in PS and post processing- sharpened using focus magic at level 2 , de- noised using neat image .
    105mm EX lens was at min focus distance ie 1:1.
    The flash is mounted off camera on a vidcam bracket low and to the left, it has it's built in wide angle diffuser deployed plus has a homemade diffuser attached to it, so depending on which way the fly is facing I get different lighting if that makes sense.
    I tend to shoot with around the same settings most of the time, I vary the camera angle to move the flash to different positions plus depending on how shots turn out, I may vary the FEC settings on the flash itself.

Brian V.
  • Options
    rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2005
    I never thought anyone could make me think flies were cute....But you did it!
    These are great!
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2005
    rahmonster wrote:
    I never thought anyone could make me think flies were cute....But you did it!
    These are great!
    Thanks Rahmonster,
    They can be quite interesting when you watch what they are up to.
    Brian V.
  • Options
    wanderingeyewanderingeye Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2005
    Thanks a lot for the shot info Brian. Keep up the great work.
    David Cothran (Wandering Eye)
    http://www.wandering-eye.com

"the days run away like wild horses over the hills"
    Bukowski