Replacement manual focus screens for dslrs

EkajEkaj Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
edited July 28, 2009 in Cameras
Hi.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these manual focus screens. I'm planning to use my d700 with a manual focus lens for an upcoming project, and I am considering switching the screens. I really have no experience with manual focus screens so I'm asking for your advice. Does it make that much of a difference? Thanks!

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited July 25, 2009
    Since the D700 has live view, have you considered using that instead?

The D700 also has rather excellent focus confirmation in manual focus mode, which I would trust far more than manual focus alone.

Viewfinder screens tend to be a double-edged sword. By the time you maximize the manual focus benefits (generally by using a larger microprism circle and then a split-prism center) you will affect metering (and in some cases AF performance as well.) If you compromise the manual focus benefits to appease the metering, you don't gain much from the manual focus screen.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • EkajEkaj Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2009
    Thanks for the reply. Issues with metering are exactly what I was afraid of. I don't care much for liveview but I really like the rangefinder option on my d700, so I guess i'll stick with the factory screen for a while.
  • gryphonslair99gryphonslair99 Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2009
    Personally I find that a manual focus screen can be a nice improvement, If you have the money and are willing to dedicate a body for manual focus for those applications you use it for. Me, I'm not going to dedicate a body for manual focus and I'm not going to be swapping back and forth all the time.
  • Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    Jacob,
    My experience is limited to using split screens on three Pentax DSLR models. I grew up on film SLRs with wonderfully large viewfinders. While the Pentax viewfinders are about as good as you can get in the cropped sensor world, I still preferred the split screen assistance.

I started out with a very cheap Chinese split-screen and had very good results. Helped a lot with focusing, but blacked out at smaller apertures. Still it served me well for two years.

Then my mid-50s hit and I needed a bit more help. I ordered a Opti-bright split-screen from Katz Eye Optics and have been enjoying using it for the past 6 months. Brighter than the screen that came with the camera, with a nice large split screen and a larger target circle in the middle that I really appreciate. Very little aperture black out which I appreciate a lot.

My only criticism is that the plastic seems to be a little soft and fragile, I've got a minor scratch that I cannot account for. Other than the considerable price, I sing high praises. I (and they) have tested for metering issues. Spot metering is off by a stop, but center weighted and matrix are accurate.

M
    edited July 27, 2009
    Thanks for the input guys! Miguel have you found that the screens affect exposure at all? I plan on doing the cliched shot a day project with only one lens for at least 6 months. I took out a crappy zoom I had taped to a specific focal length and only manually focussed with it. I didn't get many shots in focus.
  • Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2009
    Ekaj wrote:
    [deleted]
    Miguel have you found that the screens affect exposure at all? [deleted]
    Not at all. That would not be an acceptable solution for me, especially for the money.

Katz Eye Optics

M
  • hiroProtagonisthiroProtagonist Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited July 28, 2009
    Ekaj wrote:
    Thanks for the input guys! Miguel have you found that the screens affect exposure at all? I plan on doing the cliched shot a day project with only one lens for at least 6 months. I took out a crappy zoom I had taped to a specific focal length and only manually focussed with it. I didn't get many shots in focus.
    I'm not convinced that manual focus screen will improve the results from a crappy zoom and a piece of duct tape. Hopefully that's not your intent. I'm looking at getting a Zeiss 35mm f2 which means manual only focusing. A manual focusing screen had crossed my mind but ultimately I decided that if I do get the lens I'll forgo the focus screen at least until I've convised myself that its something I need to have. I'm hesitant to modify my D700 unless its the only. You will probably see the best results if you can get the mf lens you need for the project well before the and practice with it and the D700 as is. As Andy had stated this may involve the use of live view. I haven't used LV much myself but have heard of others using it successfully to MF.
    "But you and I, we’ve been through that, and this is not our fate. - Dylan 1968"
    edited July 28, 2009
    I'm not convinced that manual focus screen will improve the results from a crappy zoom and a piece of duct tape. Hopefully that's not your intent. I'm looking at getting a Zeiss 35mm f2 which means manual only focusing. A manual focusing screen had crossed my mind but ultimately I decided that if I do get the lens I'll forgo the focus screen at least until I've convised myself that its something I need to have. I'm hesitant to modify my D700 unless its the only. You will probably see the best results if you can get the mf lens you need for the project well before the and practice with it and the D700 as is. As Andy had stated this may involve the use of live view. I haven't used LV much myself but have heard of others using it successfully to MF.

I should have mentioned I only used the lens to test the focal length. ;P

I have a cv 40mm f2 on order. Should be here soon. It's no über lens, but I think it will be fun to work with. I really like the 40mm focal length. 50 seems a little too tight, and the 35 nikkor doesn't seem very good.