Options

8 Megabytes per file (Video questsions / request)

gooseattackgooseattack Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited June 23, 2005 in SmugMug Support
Are there any plans to change the maximum space from 8 megabyes per file to something more? Maybe 10 to 15 megabytes so I record a video that is over a minutes long (ideally approximately 3 minutes).

I upload lots of videos, and every time I have to edit them to exactly under 8 megabytes (for example, 7.91 megabyes, 7.98 megabytes, and so forth). It takes a lot of time, and each video clip is only limited to 47 seconds.

Currenly I ams using TMPGEnc. to convert my huge AVI files to MPEG. This allows 47 seconds = 7.8 megabyes , to be uploaded to Smugmug.

Does anyone use a better video compressor/coverter? I would like to upload more than mere 47 seconds and chopping up my videos.

Thanks,
Lucy

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2005
    this has been asked a lot. in short, there are no plans to change the upload limit of 8mb.

sorry that there's not a better answer for you....
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited June 23, 2005
    Actually, standard and power user accounts are limited to 8 but pro accounts get 16 MB/file.

http://www.smugmug.com/help/upload-photos

Video is a real problem because the MPEG 1&2 formats, the only ones compatible with almost all media players, are not too good for file size. MPEG4 is great, but not broadly compatible yet. We're going to do something about that in the future, probably support MPEG4, but we're not sure yet and it will take time.