Hoverflies and something kinky *L*

Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
edited July 27, 2009 in Holy Macro
Hey guys!

here are some of this afternoon, there was a lot of wind blowing so focussing was extremely difficult! I think they came out all right though. First attempt with the coca can diffuser and with a 36 mm extention tube. :D Think the light is much better with the diffuser! most rejected shots were misfocussed, not badly lighted :thumb

hope you like them! C&C all you want, always welcome!

1)
601421938_fWsMu-XL.jpg

2)
601423089_rN5eP-XL.jpg

3) What you come across in the parks these days.. :nah
601425187_agCm5-XL.jpg

4)
601425676_TT9bF-XL.jpg

After that last shot i let them to themselves, i got the feeling i overstayed my welcome :rofl
Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com

Comments

• urteurte Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2009
    I like 2 and 3 best
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2009
    thanks for looking and commenting urte! clap.gif
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2009
    Looking good :)
    Were these taken with fill flash ?

Brian V.
    edited July 26, 2009
    Hey brian, tnx!

these were take in manual (F = 9, 1/160 - 1/200, ISO 100) with the 430 flash on the hotshoe of the camera (EV = 0) and the newly made diffusere on top (thanks for sharing your wisdom on that! thumb.gif)

does that constitute fill flash? headscratch.gif (fill flash is when the flash fills in the needed light to get the desired shutterspeed/aperture right? rolleyes1.gif
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    Hey brian, tnx!

these were take in manual (F = 9, 1/160 - 1/200, ISO 100) with the 430 flash on the hotshoe of the camera (EV = 0) and the newly made diffusere on top (thanks for sharing your wisdom on that! thumb.gif)

does that constitute fill flash? headscratch.gif (fill flash is when the flash fills in the needed light to get the desired shutterspeed/aperture right? rolleyes1.gif

Rather depends on your definition but i take it as when flash only suppplies a small portion of the light. Normally it's when you are shooting Tv or Av modes with flash but you get similar effects when shooting manual with flash if the indicated exposure is within -1 stop.
    Only reason for asking is I normally only get that pentogram shape on fly eyes if the sun is the main light source, but it may be because the flash diffuser is still a fair way from the fly with a camera mounted flash.

Brian V.
    edited July 27, 2009
    i see what you mean, i looked at your bug shots for comparison and they dont have that pentogram shape.. the flash is quite far away when extention tubes are mounted so that may be the cause. I'm looking to get the flash towards the front but that would imply a flash cord and some sort of holder so im saving for that :D

thanks for your explanations and dedication, your an inspiration brian! bowdown.gif