An over-absence of water

adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
edited July 28, 2009 in Landscapes
Took these where there is normally a rather active stream and a small waterfall. The drought in central Texas has been very severe, but left the exposed creekbed and just a little water looking downstream.

Did this with 5 exposures stitched together in CS4. Normally, one wouldn't want to be standing here.

3756117896_bd54c0b41e_b.jpg

Looking upstream at the creekbottom. Exposed with a small softbox against the sunset sky.
3755319471_605d686dfa.jpg

Looking downstream at the little bit of water left, just enough to reflect the sky.
3756118172_6a808f80e5.jpg

3 months earlier, I took this longer exposure where the reflecting sun 'wrote' on the water to a very cool (IMHO) effect.
3755319575_c2b9f90fc8.jpg

Feedback appreciated and welcome.
- Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
My SmugMug Site

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited July 26, 2009
    wow. That's quite a difference in water level!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2009
    Any feedback on how one structures 'less than sweeping' landscapes like these would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Any feedback on how one structures 'less than sweeping' landscapes like these would be appreciated.

Thanks.

The images are nice, and you did well with what you had, IMO. The last image, in particular, is a standout and shows you have a good eye. thumb.gif Now, you just have to wait for some "good" light and interesting clouds. :D
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    The images are nice, and you did well with what you had, IMO. The last image, in particular, is a standout and shows you have a good eye. thumb.gif Now, you just have to wait for some "good" light and interesting clouds. :D

15524779-Ti.gif The light really makes a big difference. A lot of the time you can be in a perfectly ordinary location and once the sweet light falls, you can take your pick of what to shoot!

I think the first is still really awesome of a shot. Knowing that the rock formations are totally exposed due to lack of water makes it even more interesting thumb.gif
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure there will ever really be that awesome light there because there's a pretty high ridge to the west that makes the sun set pretty early here, and the east side is that cliff on the next to last photo, so the sun's angle is pretty steep. Now that I have wireless on my flashes, I could try to get some artificially sweet (perhaps splenda) light, that would at least create something in the shadow that this shoot didn't have.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure there will ever really be that awesome light there because there's a pretty high ridge to the west that makes the sun set pretty early here, and the east side is that cliff on the next to last photo, so the sun's angle is pretty steep. Now that I have wireless on my flashes, I could try to get some artificially sweet (perhaps splenda) light, that would at least create something in the shadow that this shoot didn't have.

Ooo, yeah that's a tricky situation. I haven't yet found the answer to this type of location, but if you do come up with something with the strobes I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to see it thumb.gif