Alexandra

jonvanjonvan Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
edited July 26, 2009 in People
601479111_LLGPJ-L.jpg
"Where there is no elegance of the heart...there is no elegance." Yves Saint Laurent

Comments

• HowitzerHowitzer Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited July 25, 2009
    wow, stunning photo.. just cant help but stare in awe..
    http://3dogphotos.smugmug.com

Equipment: a whole bunch of black cylinders full of polished glass that cost way to much that I just had to have...
  • jonvanjonvan Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited July 25, 2009
    Howitzer wrote:
    wow, stunning photo.. just cant help but stare in awe..

Thanks, Chuck - a little overboard, I think, but appreciate the kind word!

Best to you,
    Jon
    "Where there is no elegance of the heart...there is no elegance." Yves Saint Laurent
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2009
    Very, very nice. Please share what your setup was for the image.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2009
    It's a nice shot that looks to be too dark, too red and too saturated. Easy enough to fix. A little hair light might have been nice to set her off from the background.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited July 25, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    It's a nice shot that looks to be too dark, too red and too saturated. Easy enough to fix. A little hair light might have been nice to set her off from the background.

Thanks, David...I'll do what I can to fix it.
    edited July 25, 2009
    jonvan wrote:
    Thanks, David...I'll do what I can to fix it.

Well, just checked this one on 3 different calibrated monitors and it was not too dark, too red, nor too saturated...you're right, David...it is an "easy" fix, but you're obviously seeing what several of us are not seeing.

Sincerely,
    Jon
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2009
    She's gorgeous! thumb.gif Photographically speaking, I do agree with David, though. It appears a bit underexposed and the white balance seems off, unless you were going for a certain effect.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited July 26, 2009
    jonvan wrote:
    Well, just checked this one on 3 different calibrated monitors and it was not too dark, too red, nor too saturated...you're right, David...it is an "easy" fix, but you're obviously seeing what several of us are not seeing.

Sincerely,
    Jon

Interesting, well, I did a very quick, imperfect edit to show what I mean, here. To my eye, the skin tones are much more natural in this version. What do you think?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • HowitzerHowitzer Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited July 26, 2009
    to my untrained eye I think the original is better.. maybe its the warm tones, not sure.
    http://3dogphotos.smugmug.com

Equipment: a whole bunch of black cylinders full of polished glass that cost way to much that I just had to have...
  • blaser321blaser321 Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2009
    It look a little red to me also the exposer Is just a preference or a look I could go with. it but it is too red
    5D mark II, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8 L IS
    EF 2.0x II extender BG-E6
    edited July 26, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    Interesting, well, I did a very quick, imperfect edit to show what I mean, here. To my eye, the skin tones are much more natural in this version. What do you think?

David, thanks for taking the time to work on this - very gracious of you. Your edit is very light - almost an artificial glow to the skin that washes away most of the texture...the background is very light as well...but the skin tones - especially on the model's left side are slightly greenish - not much...but enough to be disturbing. In any case, if what I originally posted had the same effect upon as your edit has for me...I can see why you responded as you did! For me, your edit creates the impression that the photo was not properly exposed...needs saturation...too light...too green. I could easliy set up my monitor using your edited photo as a guide...but should I? What do you think?

Sincere Thanks,
    Jon
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2009
    On this calibrated monitor....she's too red and could use a bit of an exposure push.
  • jvgphotojvgphoto Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited July 26, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    On this calibrated monitor....she's too red and could use a bit of an exposure push.

Jeff,

Thx for weighing in - helpful.

Best,
    Jon
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2009
    jvgphoto wrote:
    Jeff,

Thx for weighing in - helpful.

Best,
    Jon

What type of device are you using to calibrate?

Just curious...Davids edit...IMO could still stand a bit more exposure and is still a tad red for my tastes. No green though.
    edited July 26, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:

Just curious...Davids edit...IMO could still stand a bit more exposure and is still a tad red for my tastes. No green though.

Jeff,

Monitor was calibrated with the Spyder Pro.

Jon
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:

Just curious...David's edit...IMO could still stand a bit more exposure and is still a tad red for my tastes. No green though.

I agree with David and Jeff. Pretty picture...just needs some adjustment.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
    edited July 26, 2009
    Ed911 wrote:
    I agree with David and Jeff. I think you can now see that you have more on the too red and underexposed side than otherwise.

Thanks, Ed - actually, I can't see it, but I take your point! I have a number of photog friends who are also responding to this issue - appreciate the input from everyone.

Jon
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2009
    Your monitor is reporting calibrated based on your device (i2 or spyder)? Does your image look good in PS/LR and then get the red cast if you bring up yor exported jpg in some other viewer? Perhaps you are exporting ProPhoto colors to an implied sRGB without actually saving the profile?

My LR lives in ProPhoto space:

Exported to sRGB:
    3758261022_5658637474_m.jpg

Exported to AdobeRGB (but uploaded to flickr)
    3758260940_5a552176fa_m.jpg

Exported to PhotoRGB and uploaded
    3757463953_59a30b7588_m.jpg

Given how much greener she is getting, it might follow that you are accidentally exporting based on ProPhoto or AdobeRGB but once you post, the profile is lost.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    edited July 26, 2009
    How does this image look to you?

5637776_3P7qj-XL.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2009
    The original is both too dark and lacks pop. It doesn't have a true dark point or light point. How's this look to you:

602143076_ybv8K-O.jpg

I lightened up a little with a false profile and then used a curve to get true blacks and complete range of contrast. One could play with the saturation or color balance, but that's not what bugged me most about the original.
    If not now, when?
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2009
    rutt wrote:
    The original is both too dark and lacks pop. It doesn't have a true dark point or light point. How's this look to you:

602143076_ybv8K-O.jpg

I lightened up a little with a false profile and then used a curve to get true blacks and complete range of contrast. One could play with the saturation or color balance, but that's not what bugged me most about the original.

I too, saw the original as too far into the red zonemwink.gif , but didn't see it as underexposed. This version is still too red, but almost blown out.

I think the real lesson here - and seeing adbsgicom's post of the same image in three different spaces, is that viewing images as we are on different monitors, laptops, desktops, and in a myriad of color spaces, we are going to see the same photo a zillion different ways. That said, given that a number of people all see this image as somewhat too red, Jon might consider how it's going to be seen by various viewers across the net, and want to adjust accordingly. Or not. rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
    edited July 26, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    I too, saw the original as too far into the red zonemwink.gif , but didn't see it as underexposed. This version is still too red, but almost blown out.

I think the real lesson here - and seeing adbsgicom's post of the same image in three different spaces, is that viewing images as we are on different monitors, laptops, desktops, and in a myriad of color spaces, we are going to see the same photo a zillion different ways. That said, given that a number of people all see this image as somewhat too red, Jon might consider how it's going to be seen by various viewers across the net, and want to adjust accordingly. Or not. rolleyes1.gif

i've collected input from 30 different viewers...10 see it as nearly perfectly exposed with great color...20 see it as too red, too dark, and too saturated...

I am going to adjust accordingly...this image is too red, too dark, and saturated! Good grief! No more input, please and Thank You!