Canon 70-200 F.4

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited July 25, 2009 in Technique
I have a Canon 70-200 F.4 without IS. I am sure I was told in a post(which I am unable to find) that when I use it hand held it would be best to use either 800 or 1600 ISO to get a high shutter speed when using it at full focal length. Otherwise the images are out of focus.
The reason I am asking is I intend using this lens tomorrow on a horse carriage driving event. I normally use a 17-55 2.8 but again I was told I would probably be better using the 70-200 so I would really appreciate some firm advice on this one with shutter speeds etc etc.
Regards
Bob

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited July 25, 2009
    Bob, just keep your shutter speed > 1/250th and try to squeeze the shutter and not stab it, and you should be fine. Use what ever ISO and aperture allows you to keep your shutter speed up. If you use flash for your key light, then it is less important, as long as your shutter speed is > 1/125th or so.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    Bob, just keep your shutter speed > 1/250th and try to squeeze the shutter and not stab it, and you should be fine. Use what ever ISO and aperture allows you to keep your shutter speed up. If you use flash for your key light, then it is less important, as long as your shutter speed is > 1/125th or so.

Thanks Pathfinder for that I will remember to do as you say.
    Cheers once again
    Bob