Salt River Canyon

davemandaveman Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
edited July 29, 2009 in Landscapes
Salt River Canyon is about 90 miles east of Phoenix, and a place that you rarely hear about, but has some incredible vistas. The highway switchbacks down to the bottom of the canyon,- then switchbacks up on the other side. I have wanted to get out for shots for several years now - but finally on Friday booked out after work for some sunset shots. The weather was quite overcast, stormy and dark - so light was flat most of the evening. But fortunately about 10 minutes before the sunset, the sun came out and I got a few shots - below.

1. My favorite of the evening:

p578367473-4.jpg

2. Some rainbows - had to hurry to get these....

p932244009-4.jpg

3. More rainbow

p945938405-4.jpg

4. After over 100 attempts at trying to get some lightening - I got this one.

p713300358-4.jpg

I am always looking for constructive criticism, so please help me improve. Thanks for looking.

Dave

Comments

• sixdaemonbagsixdaemonbag Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited July 26, 2009
    I love the Salt Canyon. Great shots. :)
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2009
    Dave, what a great collection of weather shots you got in this one location! That's fantastic - and enviable. :D

Looks like it was worth the wait. Hope you keep it up!
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2009
    The Salt River Canyon is a really neat area and you did a great job with the pictures you shot there... thumb.gif azzaro
  • cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2009
    I think your 100+ attempts at the lightning shot were well worth it. Very cool picture!!

Stephanie
  • davemandaveman Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2009
    Salt River Canyon
    Thanks everyone.

The first time I drove that road I was stunned when all of a sudden it dropped down to the canyon - really a neat place. I explored a little at the bottom - there is a camp ground not far from the bridge.

Thanks for the comments everyone.
    Dave
  • TJDIVTJDIV Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2009
    lightning shot is nice too!

I wonder how many cowboys have ridden through that canyon?
    "Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger"

9zero6 | Upper Peninsula Overland
  • boblu262boblu262 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2009
    Great shots! Love the rainbow!
    clap.gif
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2009
    We go here often; it's rugged beauty is breathtaking. I think you did well to show its ruggedness; really nice colors here.
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    Awesome shots, Dave! Fierce environment and beautiful captures! clap.gifthumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
    edited July 27, 2009
    Salt River Canyon
    Thanks again for the comments everyone. I only had a few minutes of light, so really want to get back for more sometime.

Eia - you said you go there often. Have you ever gone very far up or downstream on the dirt road at the bottom? If so, what is it like?

I went a little ways downstream, but wanted to do more.
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    I like this canyon but have not explored much of it yet. Every time I drive through there I really miss having a sports car. :marlin

I like the 2nd shot the most out of this set. thumb.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2009
    daveman wrote:
    Thanks again for the comments everyone. I only had a few minutes of light, so really want to get back for more sometime.

Eia - you said you go there often. Have you ever gone very far up or downstream on the dirt road at the bottom? If so, what is it like?

I went a little ways downstream, but wanted to do more.

Only crossing it... but not at the bottom...
  • rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2009
    Wow what a pretty location. Cannot believe I have never heard about it. Love all the shots but the first rainbow shot I really like. Thanks for sharing and educuating me about this beautiful place.
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2009
    Great job ! mwink.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2009
    Very nicely done! Untill I've joined Dgrin, I've only heard stories about the beautiful landscapes of AZ. Now I know they were telling the truth! I had an uncle that was a deupty sherrif at Tombstone AZ, and he told me some amazing stories, and hopefully when I retire, I'll get a chance to go there and see for myself.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
    edited July 29, 2009
    Arizona
    BroPhoto wrote:
    Very nicely done! Untill I've joined Dgrin, I've only heard stories about the beautiful landscapes of AZ. Now I know they were telling the truth! I had an uncle that was a deupty sherrif at Tombstone AZ, and he told me some amazing stories, and hopefully when I retire, I'll get a chance to go there and see for myself.

GaryB

Deputy Sheriff at Tombstone - now that is a place with an interesting history and is currently populated by a colorful cast of characters. I would expect your uncle has a few stories to tell.

Thanks for the comments - Arizona is really a beautiful state- with lots of landscape diversity.
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    The second shot is stunning!