[WP Level C&C Requested] - Seattle Public Library T/S

NeuralLotusNeuralLotus Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
edited July 27, 2009 in Landscapes
Well, seeing as how the Whipping Post is dead and everybody is trying to figure out what to do for hardcore critiquing now, I've decided to do a trial of this method which was suggested in the discussion thread about the WP closing.

These are two shots outside the Seattle Public Library which I tilt/shifted in Photoshop CS3. The main area of interest I have on the one that is looking directly at the library is the fact that part of the foreground isn't blurred like it would be if done with a T/S lens. And, just like in the Whipping Post, go as hard as you want on them, no need to hold back; in fact I don't want you to hold back.

3758253347_f736a86c0a_b.jpg

3759048408_257863d1c9_b.jpg

Hopefully these aren't quite too large for viewing, but the next size down on Flickr is less than half the size, so I decided to keep it this large, if you want them smaller, just tell me.
Hmmmmm... blarrgh...

Comments

• Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2009
    NeuralLotus,

That's a pretty cool concept.

The first shot is more interesting than the second, but neither fulfills your vision. The closest corner (SE) of the library fares pretty well, but as the eye moves to the right the illusion breaks down quickly. The light standard is too severe of an interference, and the black Seafirst bldg (or whatever it's called nowadays, they used to say that it was the box that the Space Needle came in) looks pretty normal. That stepped building to the north, however, fits into the frame nicely.

Shot no. 2 is just too murky to hold the eye, illusion or not. But the effect didn't take all that well to me.

This looks like a tough thing to execute well. And you just triggered my interest.

Thanks.

M
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2009
    Neither one does it for me in a T/S shot... I'm totally lost when viewing your photos here - confused a bit, initially - so in my mind they fail to grab the viewer right away.
  • NeuralLotusNeuralLotus Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    NeuralLotus,

That's a pretty cool concept.

The first shot is more interesting than the second, but neither fulfills your vision. The closest corner (SE) of the library fares pretty well, but as the eye moves to the right the illusion breaks down quickly. The light standard is too severe of an interference, and the black Seafirst bldg (or whatever it's called nowadays, they used to say that it was the box that the Space Needle came in) looks pretty normal. That stepped building to the north, however, fits into the frame nicely.

Shot no. 2 is just too murky to hold the eye, illusion or not. But the effect didn't take all that well to me.

This looks like a tough thing to execute well. And you just triggered my interest.

Thanks.

M

Yeah, the first one doesn't keep the illusion of a T/S shot because it is hard to get the focus right due to the angle. But, personally, I like the single strip of sharp focus in that one. The combination of the surrealistic atmosphere with the distortion of the reflections caused by the supports has a really nice feeling for me.

The second one, I understand what you mean, maybe I made the field of focus a bit too shallow, or perhaps just in the wrong place. But the isolated focus to me makes it an image framed within an image. And the out of focus area is in focus enough to give enough of a sense of the surroundings to keep it anchored within the enivronment.

But, as with this entire thread, these two photos were experiments in themselves. I had seen this done before on this forum, so I tried it out, and I guess it didn't come out as well as I had hoped, or at least it didn't garner the emotional response intended, but since it caught your interest it kind of accomplished what it was supposed, which was to at least just look kind of interesting and stand out among a lot of what I see in photography.
    Hmmmmm... blarrgh...
  • NeuralLotusNeuralLotus Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Neither one does it for me in a T/S shot... I'm totally lost when viewing your photos here - confused a bit, initially - so in my mind they fail to grab the viewer right away.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by totally lost, but I do know what you mean by them not standing up as T/S shots, since they technically aren't. I guess should have tried a bit harder to replicate the effect. ...Then again, the falseness of them kind of increases the surreality, so I guess that could go either way.
    Hmmmmm... blarrgh...