Berkeley, CA Kite Festival

photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
edited July 27, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
I took a few, overprocessed them to accentuate what my mind's eye saw in their awesome colors. I was completely impressed with using a polarizing filter and RAW. I noticed how the removing of reflected light allowed all the kite strings to become way more visible...added to the shots I thought. Tell me what you all think.

3757965719_7cd810df8e_o.jpg

3758761224_5b7fc8bd0d_o.jpg

3757965623_5f5f1d6d4e_o.jpg

3757965595_aa1a28a75b_o.jpg
I flopped this one horizontally to be able to read the words on the kite from this side! Neat trick....unless you can read Kanji and now have a problem reading the writing on the back of their jackets!

3761022662_544285f2a5_o.jpg
one last addition....going deep

Comments

• curvemeistercurvemeister Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited July 26, 2009
    Nice shots, Doug! I like the effect on the Yellow octopus kite - I wonder if reflected light from the kite in front of it caused the interesting variation in shades.

We tried to go but the traffic was a mess - next year we bike there!
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    Very colorful. I especially like the last shot thumb.gif
    Randy
  • photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Very colorful. I especially like the last shot thumb.gif

the treatment of the raw files was very interesting. I ended up moving contrast, brightness and recovery to the max, bumped up blacks and then moved exposure to get the desired effect. Selective levels in PS fine-tuned and got the colors just so. I'd never moved the camera raw sliders to such extremes.

kind of a bummer I only took a few snaps at the event and didn't shoot with any serious intention. was my day of R&R and I was intent on napping during the competitions! Breezy, sunny, kids playing....summer in CA by the Bay rocks.

thanks for the feedback.