Lightroom issues! ugh!

WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
edited July 29, 2009 in Finishing School
Still trying to get the hang of lightroom, read Kelby's book several times but still having problems! Why would it be that when you are working in a gallery sometimes lightroom does things one way and open another gallery and it does something different. I am mostly referring to when you tweak the photo in lightroom then do something in photoshop and save it. When I first started lightroom would save the picture as a duplicate right before the original, in the same order but sometimes it saves next to the original and puts it at the end of the gallery. Other times it saves it and you don't see it at all and have to go find it so it will display. Same thing with virtual copies. sometimes it is right next to the original and other times you can't see it. I don't think I changed any settings....it just is really frustrating and time consuming to go and find them again.... Any ideas?
Snady :thumb
my money well spent :D
Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!

Comments

• Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    I could give you a more complicated technical answer--and that may still be necessary--but intuitively I'm thinking that the reason virtual copies and copies moved back from Photoshop seemingly disappear depends on the filter that you are originally viewing the images through in the collection.

My guess is that your original was flagged or given a star rating or a color rating. I do this all the time. And that you neglected to do the same for the virtual copy. And the virtual copy got returned to the larger unfiltered collection.

Am I close here?

M
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    I could give you a more complicated technical answer--and that may still be necessary--but intuitively I'm thinking that the reason virtual copies and copies moved back from Photoshop seemingly disappear depends on the filter that you are originally viewing the images through in the collection.

My guess is that your original was flagged or given a star rating or a color rating. I do this all the time. And that you neglected to do the same for the virtual copy. And the virtual copy got returned to the larger unfiltered collection.

Am I close here?

M

Thanks for your reply...but no...no ratings given at all. It's just too bizarre and it is making me crazy!!! Any help is appreciated :)
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited July 29, 2009
    Still trying to get the hang of lightroom, read Kelby's book several times but still having problems! Why would it be that when you are working in a gallery sometimes lightroom does things one way and open another gallery and it does something different. I am mostly referring to when you tweak the photo in lightroom then do something in photoshop and save it. When I first started lightroom would save the picture as a duplicate right before the original, in the same order but sometimes it saves next to the original and puts it at the end of the gallery. Other times it saves it and you don't see it at all and have to go find it so it will display. Same thing with virtual copies. sometimes it is right next to the original and other times you can't see it. I don't think I changed any settings....it just is really frustrating and time consuming to go and find them again.... Any ideas?

Sand,. I think I get the same experience.

Some images that I edit externally in PS as a virtual copy, end up right next to the original file in the filmstrip in LR. Others are miles away at the end of a shoot, for no apparent reason that I can fathom. I have kind of resigned myself to this, until I read your post. I hope someone can set us straight, because I have the same experience too!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    Sand,. I think I get the same experience.

Some images that I edit externally in PS as a virtual copy, end up right next to the original file in the filmstrip in LR. Others are miles away at the end of a shoot, for no apparent reason that I can fathom. I have kind of resigned myself to this, until I read your post. I hope someone can set us straight, because I have the same experience too!

Glad I'm not the only one! It is driving me bonkers and I am ready to give up!! Here's to hoping somebody here knows what to do to fix it! Thanks for your response!
  • Thunder RabbitThunder Rabbit Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    Howdy.

I think your issue may have to do with the sorting option in effect. Go to Menu>View>Sort.

Depending on the setting LR will sort by Capture Time, File Name, etc.
    I think the default setting is Capture Time, meaning your virtual copies and PS Edit copies have a later Capture Time, and are sent to the end of the bus.

If you select File Name for your sorting option, your virtual copies and PS Edits should all be together.

Hope this helps.
    Peace,
    Lee

Thunder Rabbit GRFX
    www.thunderrabbitgrfx.com
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited July 29, 2009
    I'll look into that, thanks a bunch, Lee.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin