Fujifil FinePix S200EXR

SmithySmithy Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
edited August 5, 2009 in Cameras
So this baby's coming out soon, and I'm seriously considering the upgrade from pocketcam to something slightly more substantial... but not in the full DLSR league yet. The reviews call these "Bridge" cams, and I like the idea a lot.

Does anyone know when they are expected to start shipping?

And, if this total noob is looking at the wrong equipment for the price point (500-600 bones) please let me know. Thanks.

http://www.letsgodigital.org/images/artikelen/14/fujifilm-finepix-s200exr.jpg
Fuji X-S10
Fujifilm Finepix S100fs

and my other hobby... tidewaterforge.com

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited July 27, 2009
    Smithy, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

I saw this announcement as well and it does look like a very competent camera. I would wait for the formal reviews to make a decision, but the specs certainly look good.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • SmithySmithy Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    What's your opinion of Bridge cameras in general? Considering most <$200 pocket-cams are pretty decent in MP and lousy in glass and quality beyond happy-snaps of the kids, and Full DSLR rigs can get enourmously expensive, is spending a couple hundred extra really getting you that much more camera?
    Fuji X-S10
    Fujifilm Finepix S100fs

edited July 27, 2009
    Smithy wrote:
    What's your opinion of Bridge cameras in general? Considering most <$200 pocket-cams are pretty decent in MP and lousy in glass and quality beyond happy-snaps of the kids, and Full DSLR rigs can get enourmously expensive, is spending a couple hundred extra really getting you that much more camera?

My first semi-serious foray into digital was a Kodak 3MP P&S. When I wanted more capabilities I purchased a Minolta DiMAGE A2 bridge camera. That lasted me around a year before I jumped into a dSLR but I still have and use the A2 today.

Advanced digicams have a place and are remarkably convenient. Unless you need to shoot sports or a lot of indoor critical events, they still make a lot of sense. I would budget for an external flash, and a digital slave to trigger the flash. Indoors at personal events, parties and such, an external flash can make all the difference between a snapshot and something that looks remarkably professional.

Some of my favorite images were captured with the A2 digicam:

58861539_6FsvL-O.jpg

488767003_qNSye-O.jpg

324103834_pL2wc-O.jpg

317070633_gtJkk-O.jpg
    ziggy53
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    Smithy wrote:

I used one for a year, and enjoyed it a lot. They are very capable, the newer versions more-so.
    edited August 4, 2009
    Well, I couldn't wait anymore. Kids are coming to CA in a week and a half, visiting the house of mouse, and san diego. I need good pics of this vacation.

So I pulled the trigger on the Fuji S100FS. Should be here end of the week / early next week.

:ivar
    Fuji X-S10
    Fujifilm Finepix S100fs

edited August 5, 2009
    Smithy wrote:
    Well, I couldn't wait anymore. Kids are coming to CA in a week and a half, visiting the house of mouse, and san diego. I need good pics of this vacation.

So I pulled the trigger on the Fuji S100FS. Should be here end of the week / early next week.

:ivar

That looks to be a respectable advanced digicam; great lens, IS, decent high ISO.

I look forward to hearing your impressions of the camera.
    ziggy53
    edited August 5, 2009
    Since I'm coming from a 4-year old Panasonic DMC-LZ3, I'm sure it will be 1000 time better than what I'm used to. My only meaningful impressions will be how easy it is to convert to, as a beginner to larger cameras with more advanced functions.

Otherwise, I'll just say it in advance.

Wow.

thumb.gif
    Fuji X-S10
    Fujifilm Finepix S100fs