Abstract Nature Shot - C&C

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
edited July 30, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
I like to experiment with my zoom, trying to create impressionistic images. Some of you have posted shots with the same technique. This one was shot at ISO 100, f/22, with a total time of 10/13 sec. I rotated the zoom during the entire shot. I processed this one in PS, with Levels and Curves adjustments to the overall image and then Levels and Curves adjustments to the isolated sky.

This was shot at Wheeler National Wildlife Refuge in Decatur AL. It was about 0730 and this was looking east.

Please let me know what you think. I'm going to print this one on metallic to see if it brings out the colors more.

Thanks,
Lauren

602945508_kFHT9-L.jpg
"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    Hey Lauren,

Hope life is treating you well. Haven't seen your work in a while.

I really like this image. Good work thumb.gif

I suspect the grain will look really nice on metallic.
    Randy
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    Thanks, Randy--I appreciate the comments. I have not been around much lately--just too much "life" going on and haven't done much shooting at all. Or maybe I got spoiled by those few days in Colorado, shooting in the Rockies?! :D I hope to get busier behind the camera and here on DGrin.

Thanks,
    Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    Nice shot Lauren.....I would think that it would print really well..... Looking forward to see more of your work....... azzaro
  • Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    I think it would have looked better if you had zoomed out faster and maybe a bit farther, what do you think?

It is a cool shot though, I have been meaning to try some of that kind of shooting but just haven't had the time lately....which is to bad....
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
    edited July 28, 2009
    Thanks for the comments.

Mr Quiet -- Hope you can make time for some shooting--and give the zoom a try. It's fun even when the shots don't come out quite right! And I see what you mean about a faster/farther zoom. Farther might have made a difference but faster would be blurrier, which wasn't the look I wanted for this shot. I do use a faster rotation sometimes for up close abstract shots (like flowers), but for this one I wanted to keep enough of the original scene so one could tell what it was. Thanks for the comments.

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2009
    No problem, your shot is awesome anyways!clap.gifclapclap.gif
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2009
    Really nice work on this photo thumb.gif I've tried doing that and its lots of fun. You never know what the final photo will look like, but I haven't gotten any keepers yet.

Wonder what it would of looked like if the wind had been blowing moving the grain? Not saying it needs that, but my curiosity is getting to me again :D
    edited July 29, 2009
    DogDots - One of the images on my "wish list" is a nice shot of grain blowing in the wind. Unfortunately, this was a very quiet day! I hope you keep trying the zoom/rotation effect and post some of your shots. I've even tried them on my dogs and got a couple interesting ones! :D

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    redleash wrote:
    DogDots - One of the images on my "wish list" is a nice shot of grain blowing in the wind. Unfortunately, this was a very quiet day! I hope you keep trying the zoom/rotation effect and post some of your shots. I've even tried them on my dogs and got a couple interesting ones! :D

You've tried it on your dogs too rolleyes1.gif

I've tried with the wheat blowing in the wind and just haven't gotten it right yet...not a clue why either headscratch.gif
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited July 29, 2009
    very good. i see it as a strong, iconic background. would have good commercial value. thumb.gif
    edited July 30, 2009
    WOW! Thanks, Angelo--I really appreciate your kind comment. Any ideas on what commercial uses you'd see this for?

Thanks, Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com