Playing with new camera

Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
edited July 27, 2009 in Holy Macro
Still playing with new camera - series of high ISO/fill flash shots. First 4 ISO1600 last one ISO800. All 5D mk2/MPE-65.

Brian v.

3761342782_eb9b61ee89_o.jpg

3761342852_283f71bc96_o.jpg

3761342894_37c531c016_o.jpg

3761360540_bf4770b8c8_o.jpg

3761360530_fcd50ab0a5_o.jpg

Comments

• Paul IddonPaul Iddon Registered Users Posts: 5,129 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    Just seen and left a Q at the other place, but I'll ask here too.

:)

Do you find full frame harder or easier than croppped sensors for macro work?

Paul

Link to my personal website: http://www.pauliddon.co.uk

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    Paul Iddon wrote:
    Just seen and left a Q at the other place, but I'll ask here too. :)
    Do you find full frame harder or easier than croppped sensors for macro work?
    Paul
    Same answer :)
    Finding the brighter viewfinder a delight to use at higher mags, the image resolution is a big improvement on my 1.6 crop bodies such that a 1.6 X crop of a shot would I think more than pass muster compared to a 1.6 crop body shot. The detail and high ISO performance opens up new shooting potential for me as does being able to fit in larger bugs when using the MPE-65. So so far I'm finding it an ideal combo with the MPE-65 lens at least for summer shooting. Not sure what I will do for smaller bug winter shooting.

I really got the body specifically for the MPE-65 but suspect that less than 1:1 shooting and use for other forms of photography would be excellent.
    Brian v.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    hey Brian!

impressed with the low noise at ISO 1600! thumb.gif

the fill flash does render the photos somewhat softer in terms of contrast and colour. Not sure if that is beneficial here or that its better suited with other subjects (less colourful perhaps? rolleyes1.gif ) The vibrant colours when using full flash and iso 100 are very striking IMO thumb.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    hey Brian!

impressed with the low noise at ISO 1600! thumb.gif

the fill flash does render the photos somewhat softer in terms of contrast and colour. Not sure if that is beneficial here or that its better suited with other subjects (less colourful perhaps? rolleyes1.gif ) The vibrant colours when using full flash and iso 100 are very striking IMO thumb.gif

It's the mainly natural light that makes the colours softer. After doing lots of shots with full flash I find the muted more pastel colours of natural light shots a pleasant change :)

Brian v.
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    i agree, the 'pastel' colours are a pleasant change. i think its very handy to have this technique available for yourself, especially when you want your subject muted, not exploding with colour like below rolleyes1.gif

these are (for example) shots where i think muted colours work well:

579437640_48QvM-L.jpg

579429426_WgCq6-L.jpg

not my best work, i agree but the idea behind it may be more clear with an example. Think it works well with your shots too though, but with shots like above you ruin the photo by using 'big contrasty colourful flash shots'.
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com