Buying a mp-e 65?

Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
edited July 29, 2009 in Holy Macro
Hey guys,

I'm crossing the pond in a few months and since lenses are ridiculously cheap in the US (yes, they are and dont you dare say there not! :wxwax) I was thinking about buying the Mp-e 65. I've already established that when i declare it at customs (like a good citizen) it will save me > 250 euro (cheapest here is 1300+ dollar), making it tempting. Since im not that loaded i'm still doubting it though.

I know the mp-e 65 is a tough lens to use. (Considering my current level) do you think the mp-e 65 would be a good buy for me or would i not be able to use until im better at my work? dont want to waste my money now if i am only able to use it at a later stage (when money is more 'abundant' :D )

love to hear what your ideas are about this
Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    Tricky question - I would say only get one now if you feel comfortable with and get the results you want from your current 1:1 macro lens. If you're having problems now with a normal macro lens then an MPE-65 will only amplify them.

Bearing in mind i'm retired so had lots of time to practice macro, I spent 6 months getting used to shooting 1:1 then another 6 months shooting at upto 4:1 using ext tubes and a reversed 50mm lens before contemplating and finally deciding to get an MPE-65.
    Brian v.
  • urteurte Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    funny Im having the same thoughts
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited July 27, 2009
    i think you should probably wait till you getter used to shooting at x2 mag with ex tubes on, once you get light right then go for it.
    i was shooting about a year before getting mine

phil
  • DerryDerry Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited July 28, 2009
    if your really enjoying macro then it is the lens to have,, most any macro can be tough until you understand the working requirements,, if you feel this is an important part of your photography then investing in good glass will offer you many a year of enjoyment,,

if your not going to be returning to the USA anytime soon I would buy the lens,, you seldom ever see one on any of the various FS forum areas and when ya do it is gone in less than an hour, usually the first responder buys,,

with the $$$ difference your experiencing, if the lens turns out to not be what your wanting you should be able to sell it with no loss when your home,,

Derry
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2009
    Derry wrote:
    if your really enjoying macro then it is the lens to have,, most any macro can be tough until you understand the working requirements,, if you feel this is an important part of your photography then investing in good glass will offer you many a year of enjoyment,,

if your not going to be returning to the USA anytime soon I would buy the lens,, you seldom ever see one on any of the various FS forum areas and when ya do it is gone in less than an hour, usually the first responder buys,,

with the $$$ difference your experiencing, if the lens turns out to not be what your wanting you should be able to sell it with no loss when your home,,

Derry

Hi,
    There are no ifs or buts about it. I have bought the majority of my lenses from B & H and family bring them over when they visit. That is why I have so many lenses. I paid around £450 for my MPE 15 months ago and the price reduction speaks for its self. This lens needs a lot of practice but like anything else practice makes perfection. I have had back pain recently and I was just getting into the hang of the MPE when I had to give it a miss so I haven't used this lens for a while but it is a first class lens and the price you will be paying you just can't lose.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    Derry wrote:

Derry

Thanks all for the replies!

I'm thinking somewhat in the line of derry, just curious:

do you have to buy into a lot of new stuff as well like tripods/ringflashes/flashbrackets etc? or could you do with only the lens and a flash (+maybe something like a flashcord)?

That may be important to consider.. but if not i think itll be the mpe 65 for me thumb.gif
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    Thanks all for the replies!

I'm thinking somewhat in the line of derry, just curious:

do you have to buy into a lot of new stuff as well like tripods/ringflashes/flashbrackets etc? or could you do with only the lens and a flash (+maybe something like a flashcord)?

That may be important to consider.. but if not i think itll be the mpe 65 for me thumb.gif

Many people like using the MPE-65 with an MT-24 macro flashgun which is rather expensive. I'm still using a normal 430Ex bracket mounted flash gun with mine (does also reqquire an off camera flash cord).
    Brian v.
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    Buying a flash cord and devising a bracket is something i can live with. :D
  • bretbret Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    Hey guys,

I know the mp-e 65 is a tough lens to use. (Considering my current level) do you think the mp-e 65 would be a good buy for me or would i not be able to use until im better at my work?

The MP-E lens doesn't get any easier to use over time. By that I mean that it is a difficult lens to use and requires practice with it, no matter your previous level of expertise. So waiting for your skills to improve won't help you as much as using the thing.

-bret