Advice sought on cage/terrarium

SlowhandSlowhand Registered Users Posts: 6 Big grins
edited July 29, 2009 in Holy Macro
I am under the impression that most people in this group photograph insects outside and battle with wind, uncooperative subjects, DOF etc.

While I am doing the same thing, just for a change I would like to take some photographs under controlled conditions inside in my little studio. I have all the hardware (microstage, macro lenses, lights, flash etc.) the only thing missing is a suitable container/cage for the subject, let's say a moth or small spider. If the object is quiet I would like to practise focus stacking or HDR.

What are the experiences of the other dgrinners? What works well? What materials? How big should the cage/terrarium be, it cannot be very deep since I have very short focus bellows lenses? Must the front glas be of a special quality?

Of course I will release the subject into the wild again, so I do not want to kill or harm it in order to keep it still, I'd rather forego a picture.

Any suggestions or links to information would be highly appreciated.

Comments

• jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    I have a suggestion, but it's probably not what you're looking for... Shoot animals in their natural habitat. Dealing with their lack of cooperation and nature's elements is what it's all about. I recently spent two hours kneeling over an ant hill, on stones, only to end up with four, pretty-much crappy pics. But I saved them, because I was proud of the effort that went into them. You probably know all of this already, and I understand you just want to try something different, but I can't imagine there's much satisfaction in "capturing" something that is already captive.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    Slowhand wrote:
    I am under the impression that most people in this group photograph insects outside and battle with wind, uncooperative subjects, DOF etc.

While I am doing the same thing, just for a change I would like to take some photographs under controlled conditions inside in my little studio. I have all the hardware (microstage, macro lenses, lights, flash etc.) the only thing missing is a suitable container/cage for the subject, let's say a moth or small spider. If the object is quiet I would like to practise focus stacking or HDR.

What are the experiences of the other dgrinners? What works well? What materials? How big should the cage/terrarium be, it cannot be very deep since I have very short focus bellows lenses? Must the front glas be of a special quality?

Of course I will release the subject into the wild again, so I do not want to kill or harm it in order to keep it still, I'd rather forego a picture.

Any suggestions or links to information would be highly appreciated.

Hi there, if your going to photograph insects, bugs ect that don't fly,
    it is easy to contain them in open containers.

I use an big cardboard box with the top and front cut out of it so its got 3 sides and a base.

Inside that I put a black cloth (actually its a Black T Shirt) I drap it so that you cannot see any part of the cardboard box.

I also gather pieces of wood with bark to lay as a base with dried leaves,
    or cut off small stems from plants and place them in clamps to allow the stem to stand and place the bug on it, it is then easy to turn the clamp rather than bug :D

Just make it look as natural looking as possible.

Hope this is helpful for you thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin