First Post, testing how pics look. Feel free to critique!

PhotoPaulPhotoPaul Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
edited July 27, 2009 in Other Cool Shots

Comments

• grosdagrosda Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    Very Nice
    Nice first offerings! I will be looking forward to more!
    Dale G

- My Gallery
    - My Blog
  • PhotoPaulPhotoPaul Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    Thank you
    Thanks Dale. There is so much involved with photography I think sometimes we take the fun out of it :)

I saw some of your shots at the balloon fiesta. Great shots. I plan on going this year. I love Albuquerque that time of year.

Thanks again!

Paul
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    I really like the last one! The reflection of the sun leads your eye(s) back to the fisherman on the pier. I'm looking forward to your next post.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • sixdaemonbagsixdaemonbag Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    I like the idea you're going for here with both of these shots, but they leave me a little flat. In that first one, you might try to position your shot so that the sun is dropping (or rising, not sure if this is sunset or sunrise) right onto the railing of the pier (so get a little lower down that hill or crouch). Another way to shoot it would be from below the pier. I see a lot of reflected sunlight coming across the water and it'd look great framed around some of those pier pilings. Clouds would help add some more visual drama to an otherwise ordinary sky.

In the second shot, I'd like to see the fisherman either more or less. (IE silhouetted completely by a sun halo or more exposed to put him into the scene. Maybe composite a couple exposures to get that effect, a slight HDR in post-process and it could really pop.). As with the first one, some sort of clouds or something to add some visual interest and drama to the sky would kick this way up. An alternate posing where you could use that light trail in the water instead of having it blocked by your subject could also be interesting.

Looks like a killer place to get some shots. I'd love to see these re-shot from some different angles with some different lighting and see what comes out of it.
  • Quzol1Quzol1 Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    Check your horizon on the first one, you have a bit of a lean going on. Keep postingthumb.gif
  • PhotoPaulPhotoPaul Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    Good Advice
    Thanks, I appreciate all of the C&C. I know the first one was tough and I wanted to get on ground level but at that area was all marsh and didn't feel like getting gooped up at the time :) I could have crouched and I will try that. Probably explains horizon line too.

Haven't done much with the HDR and I am definately intrigued by the concept. I just got a sturdy tripod so I need to put it to use.

Thanks again and I look forward to using this forum.