Olympus E-P1 arrived at long last!

PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
edited August 8, 2009 in Cameras
603408490_h4pdn-O.jpg

The battery is charging. I put it in for a few minutes before committing to a full charge with the following observations:

1. The shutter button, once you're focused (or in MF) really responds properly, justifying my purchase 100%. That was my #1 criterion.

2. MF is probably going to be where I live with this camera, at least with the 17mm. The focus ring is smooth and nicely resistant feeling and instantly goes into a 100% zoom when you turn it so you can get a sharp focus. I gotta say, for all the rancor surrounding the AF on this camera, this MF methodology seems well done.

3. Nice, heavy and solid. But compared to a DSLR, like a helium balloon.

4. The 230k screen IS a missed opportunity, but I'll live.

5. Better take some photos with it. I'm sure I'll be inspired to bring it along to places where taking the DSLR makes me feel like a nerd.

Test shots to come...

Comments

• InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    Sir, if you could just take a moment....
    To allow me to be extremely jealous. I know there's something somewhere about not coveting a neighbours camera but I guess it's ok with another forum member.....

Almost bought one myself but went for the DSLR comfort zone instead.....
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited July 27, 2009
    Congratulations on the new camera. clap.gif

Any plans for lenses beyond the 17mm?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    Congrats! thumb.gif Cant wait to see the pics (esp. in a tough conditions: low light, contre-a-jour, high-noon, etc.)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Congratulations on the new camera. clap.gif

Any plans for lenses beyond the 17mm?

I should say so, though I'm so far not interested in the kit zoom. Let's see what the future holds. If they do an f/1.4-f/2, I'm there. A longer-end zoom would be nice, like a 35-100mm kind of thing.

And... MORE PRIMES!
  • InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    Pindy wrote:
    I should say so, though I'm so far not interested in the kit zoom. Let's see what the future holds. If they do an f/1.4-f/2, I'm there. A longer-end zoom would be nice, like a 35-100mm kind of thing.

And... MORE PRIMES!

Panasonic have a 21mm f/1.7 on the road map (hopefully under the Leica moniker in which case it would be very good). Olympus are saying very little about their own lens lineup at the moment.....
  • joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    I wish they would do a kit with just the 17mm. I've already got a Canon 5DII with a dozen lenses but I'm really lusting for this awesome little camera. I love my old film Pen-EE2. and a digital version like this would rock
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    DPReview just posted its review of the EP-1. Very positive review. They seem to like it very much. I am not surprised - I think it looks like a real winner.
  • RoyGBivRoyGBiv Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    Pindy wrote:

The battery is charging. I put it in for a few minutes before committing to a full charge with the following observations:

1. The shutter button, once you're focused (or in MF) really responds properly, justifying my purchase 100%. That was my #1 criterion.

2. MF is probably going to be where I live with this camera, at least with the 17mm. The focus ring is smooth and nicely resistant feeling and instantly goes into a 100% zoom when you turn it so you can get a sharp focus. I gotta say, for all the rancor surrounding the AF on this camera, this MF methodology seems well done.
    You sound like a great candidate for this camera...not timid about switching to MF on the fly & using zone focusing techniques. There's too much whining from those who see the MF/AF switch on their camera like the digital equivalent of an appendix and don't ever think of attempting to command the MF ring every once in a while. Develop confidence in your own judgement and skill, and I think this camera will reward you handsomely.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited August 5, 2009
    RoyGBiv wrote:
    You sound like a great candidate for this camera...not timid about switching to MF on the fly & using zone focusing techniques. There's too much whining from those who see the MF/AF switch on their camera like the digital equivalent of an appendix and don't ever think of attempting to command the MF ring every once in a while. Develop confidence in your own judgement and skill, and I think this camera will reward you handsomely.

RoyGBiv, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

I used a 35mm rangefinder for years and presetting the focus was standard practice for a lot of situations.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    Jeez, I have dropped the ball on this thread. Sorry, but it's been a kind of Death Of Photography over the last couple weeks. Give us the weekend.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    I just read the dpreview in depth review on it.
    Pindy wrote:
    Jeez, I have dropped the ball on this thread. Sorry, but it's been a kind of Death Of Photography over the last couple weeks. Give us the weekend.
    But the biggest issue appears to be af speed. It is slower then most p&s it seems. Let us know if you see the same issue
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com