Local history for the birds

Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
edited July 28, 2009 in Wildlife
This young yellow bird popped up out of nowhere on Sunday morning when I was photographing hummingbirds who frequent flowering maple bushes right off my deck at home.

602173280_i3wTK-L.jpg

Pentax K20D, Pentax A*200mm + Kenko 1.5X TC, f 5.6 @ 1/180, ISO 400

I’m an Audubon slacker and initially ID’d the bird as a yellow warbler. Then a respected poster on another forum suggested a Connecticut Warbler. So I requested an ID from my web designer who leads the monthly Audubon walks here.

This has lead to a few rounds of additional expert opinion. The consensus is: a juvenile MacGillivray's Warbler. What’s cool is that no one has ever recorded a juvenile on the Island where I live before.

The current email debate is around the assumption that it was fledged here. I am expecting some "field researchers" to hang out on my deck during the next few days. The price of admission is a six pack--Widmer Hefeweizen and a little lemon sure helps crowd control in 93 degree weather.

M

Comments

• HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2009
    Very nice capture in some challenging light. It looks like the highlights on the leg got blown but I don't see how that could have been avoided.

I like the vertical crop but would have left a tad more room on frame right.

Congrats on a special capture.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • raptorcaptorraptorcaptor Registered Users Posts: 3,968 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2009
    Great capture Miguel!
    Glenn

My website | NANPA Member