Arrested

michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
edited July 30, 2009 in Street and Documentary
604329472_Qkber-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2009
    First, congratulations on seeing this and having the guts to shoot it - though I wonder about your sanity.:D

That said, the arrest is too damn far away and is lost in the frame. This is not a criticism - you were in a difficult situation. But here are the three photos I would like to see:

604367288_fhoGP-XL.jpg

or

604367278_JCk6R-XL.jpg

or

604367268_3nW3Q-XL.jpg

From a photojournalism standpoint it's definitely the first. From a street photo standpoint it's probably the second.

clap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2009
    I'll come back in the morning and add some comments regarding my thinking on the initial crop. I just keep staying up too late. But, for the street scene, I assume this crop would work better. I have also slightly lightened the faces of the women. Man is that a harsh juxtaposition.
    604411034_mk2NE-L-0.jpg

[eta - updated crop]
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    I'll come back in the morning and add some comments regarding my thinking on the initial crop. I just keep staying up too late. But, for the street scene, I assume this crop would work better (although looking at it, I might bring back in a slight amount more foreground). I have also slightly lightened the faces of the women. Man is that a harsh juxtaposition.
    604386314_GrYkn-L.jpg

"Man is that a harsh juxtaposition." And that's what street photography is about. And/or humor, ambiguity, pathos, mystery -
    As a street photo it's brilliant!:ivar Though I'd crop in still tighter. I know you want that background, but we really need to see the faces on the men. (And it would have been more brilliant if you'd been much closer, or had a long lens. But I realize that's Monday morning critiquing.) rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2009
    I want the background, too. I played with it a bit and couldn't improve on Michswiss' second version. I think this will work well in a large print. BD has a point about smaller versions: in a newspaper it couldn't be that big and you'd need a close crop.

This is a very brave shot and it was worth the risk to get it.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2009
    Would be interested in knowing a little more background on the picture.

To me it looks like loss prevention instead of police, especially the way the guy on the right is holding him. Safe shot but nice timing in it.

Makes me feel like sitting around the local stores and malls waiting for an arrest. Maybe even go to one of the stores I used to work in to see if I can get an old co-worker during the arrest...
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2009
    First of all: awesome PJ work!
    ---
    Like BD, I want less distraction;
    Like John, I want more background;
    Concentraing on the group makes it look like shot of the buddies in Silicon Valley.
    Here's my crop. It holds both the key group and the unique environment.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2009
    I decided to share the shot as it's stuck in my head for some time. In fact, I had second thoughts last night after posting it. Having my name associated with this type of content made me nervous. Thanks for the kudos.

I had come out from a set of narrow and crowded hutongs and just switched lens. The photo was shot using a 70-200 on a D300. It was set to ~100mm optically / 150mm equivalent. I could have gone a lot further in, but I'd actually set up for a different shot to try and get a perspective image on the long, open street. So by the time I noticed the plainclothes officials with the young man in custody, I did a quick refocus and fired a couple of shots. I opted to not stand there and recompose lest they notice and I'm suddenly needing to have an uncomfortable conversation. So maybe not so brave after all, eh?

Toshido, I can assure you that this isn't a "Loss Prevention" team. This was taken last winter in a newly developed area behind a very famous square and tomb in a town where the olympics were recently held. There weren't any stores open as of yet on this particular street. But, it doesn't mean that there might not be less nefarious scenarios than the one implied by the body language.
  • Options
    Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2009
    I know you shot that in China, but where in China?
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2009
    :lurk

Just reading and learning. Great stuff.
  • Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    very interesting discussion here, like the input of BD Colen on these threads as well! Thnx! thumb.gif

I'm torn between the original and the second crop. the setting/bg really puts you in china, an important aspect of the story. The crop however focusses on the faces.. mhhh.. difficult, cant really choose between the two. headscratch.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    Seriously photos with backgrounds don't tell "Arrested" rather "buddies" headscratch.gif I prefer the 1st version of BD
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2009
    I have an idea, why don't you use a 10x4 crop? I think you will be surprised!

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D

Mr. Christoferson
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2009
    Here's a 10x4 crop. I can see what you mean with the results, it has a bit more balance to my eye. But I think it still falls within one of three styles the shot could take.

605143103_Es96v-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2009
    Thanks everyone for the comments. Much appreciated and a very interesting exercise how a single shot can be cropped to different intents. Here's how I've interpreted it. Three possible intents and reproduction options.

- Pure PJ in combination with an article. This is where I think B.D.'s version fits. Since the context of the photo itself is removed, it is dependent on the article to describe the setting. It definitely shows the detention best, but for this shot is limited to only small reproduction or printing.

- Street shot. The subjects are brought as far to the fore as possible and allowed to play off each other to create a form of tension in the composition. This would be good for an online gallery or smaller print sizes. The 10x4 crop might work in a larger print, but I'll need to experiment.

- Exposition. This would be best with a larger print and minimal crop to allow the full scene to be seen but the detail of the arrest still easily discernible if the viewer explores the image. The detention becomes a statement on how extraordinary or uncomfortable acts can so easily take place amongst us without our being aware of them. Doesn't work online.

Make sense?
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    Actually, besides issues of composition, I want a crop that shows enough background that I know this is taking place in a Chinese city. Without that, a lot of the story is gone. It's pretty simple.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2009
    Hey, you haven't answered my Q yet, where in China?

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D

Mr. Christoferson
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2009
    Mr. Quiet wrote:
    Hey, you haven't answered my Q yet, where in China?

I thought my description of the location just before your question was fairly self explanatory, if cryptic. ne_nau.gif

But in any case, Beijing on Qianmen Jia.
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2009
    That is Jie, not Jia. I live in China by the way.

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D

Mr. Christoferson
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    Here's a 10x4 crop. I can see what you mean with the results, it has a bit more balance to my eye. But I think it still falls within one of three styles the shot could take.

605143103_Es96v-XL.jpg

Yes, more balance - but the story is lost. In the larger view the prisoner might simply be a guy who's had too much to drink and is being helped along by his friends. I simply can't see enough.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    edited July 30, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Yes, more balance - but the story is lost. In the larger view the prisoner might simply be a guy who's had too much to drink and is being helped along by his friends. I simply can't see enough.

BD, I think the story is how you discover what's happening visually and that is dependent on the medium used. For web or newsprint, I would definitely follow your advice. As a large-format print, I think it might be more interesting leaving all the contextual pieces in place. Then, assuming the image isn't generally uninteresting, there is a reward for the viewer to discover the dissonance and then reexamine the image as a whole from a new perspective.

As a side note, this is why I think titles are important to a piece and what I'm struggling with for the next image I want to share.