Quick save in LR?

Easy2PuttEasy2Putt Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
edited July 28, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
Is there a way to do an immediate save of the work I've done in LR? Is there a way to do an immediate back up without haveing to go out of LR? Also, I have it set to back each day, but is there a way to set a time for this? I noticed that it will prompt me to do a back up after a certain time..like 10pm..has passed..but before this time it doesn't prompt me..so I have to go into LR after this time..hope this makes sense..

Comments

• cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2009
    Easy2Putt wrote:
    Is there a way to do an immediate save of the work I've done in LR? Is there a way to do an immediate back up without haveing to go out of LR? Also, I have it set to back each day, but is there a way to set a time for this? I noticed that it will prompt me to do a back up after a certain time..like 10pm..has passed..but before this time it doesn't prompt me..so I have to go into LR after this time..hope this makes sense..

Well LR immediately saves everything as you do it...so there is no 'save'. If you want a JPEG or PSD of your edits, you can export.

If you want to backup your LR catalog more often than default, go to Catalog Settings, and choose another option. You can back up everytime LR starts, but there is not 'backup on demand' option.

You might also consider the option to write LR changes in .xmp, which means that the settings specific to an image are written alongside that image, as well as in the catalog. Therefore, you can include image specific edits in your image backup routines. This also is in Catalog Settings, under Metadata tab.

Btw, i simply backup my LR database outside of LR, as part of my usual, daily backup routine. I don't sweat it, it just gets backed up.
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2009
    Easy2Putt wrote:
    Is there a way to do an immediate save of the work I've done in LR?

Saves are constant and immediate, into Lightroom's own database.

If you want the metadata to be written into the raw or jpeg too, which is useful if the database goes bad, then press Cmd-S (or Ctrl-S for Windows), this shortcut is for Metadata/Save Metadata to File. If the metadata is both in the database and in the actual file, that in of itself is a two-copy backup of the corrections. Because if the database went bad, you could select the image and choose Metadata/Read Metadata from File to take the corrections metadata from the image and pump it back into the database.

You can also go into Catalog Settings and turn on "Automatically Write Changes Into XMP" so you don't have to keep hitting Cmd-S, but with thousands of images having this option on can slow down your machine because it will constantly scan and update.
  • Easy2PuttEasy2Putt Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited July 28, 2009