Senior Pictures

Mark1123Mark1123 Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
edited August 1, 2009 in People
Recently had my 1st photography 'job', and it was shooting senior pictures. Let me know what you think about these in general, but especially the composition.

Thanks for looking.
_DSC3177 270w.jpg

How do you attach more than one picture?
If you never know an enemy, how do you understand the worth of a friend?

Comments

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2009
    Mark1123 wrote:
    Recently had my 1st photography 'job', and it was shooting senior pictures. Let me know what you think about these in general, but especially the composition.

Thanks for looking.
    _DSC3177 270w.jpg

How do you attach more than one picture?

Use the "Insert Image" button (the little box with a picture of a mountain and sun in the toolbar) rather than the paperclip.

If when attatching photos you go back and click in the text above the photograph it will move the cursor and remove the placeholders for the attatched image. Then....you can click beyond the edge of the image near it's bottom right corner to get a cursor there...then hit enter a couple times to get below that image to post a second one or more. Be sure to number them so folks can comment on individual shots, and using a little larger size than what you have here would also be nice.

In this first image, I like the depth of field and receding lines. I like that you chose NOT to center your subject. The blown out BG beyond the columns and opposite your subject should be cropped away as a distraction for the viewer. The image can stand an increase in exposure once that crop is done....as the rest appears under exposed. Im not really fond of the crossed arms....and especially with the position of his thumbs. He appears to be squinting, though Id like to see more light on his face.
    edited July 28, 2009
    ...and WELCOME to Dgrin!!!:D
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    A couple things I notice (or maybe it's just me....) is that his skin has green in it and his right hand seems to be wearing a rubber, latex glove.

Proctologist, perhaps?
    Thats gone green from his last job??? :D

Seriously, though; How did you WB?
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    One little technical detail: the inclusion of a bright spot on the right, while bringing zero (imho) to the picture and in fact distracting from your primary subject (bright things attract attention, that's the nature of the human vision) eats a substantial amount of your image luminosity gamut, thus making the rest of the image bland and flat.
    What you should have done while taking the shot is to step to your right and angle it in a way the only the pillars are in the frame, but not the bright spot. However, even now you can still re-crop and work with curves a bit to regain what has been lost (especially if you shot in RAW).
    HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • gvfgvf Registered Users Posts: 356 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    Nice setting - like the columns.
    Welcome!
  • Mark1123Mark1123 Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    Jeff - thanks for the critique and the welcome. I completely see what you're talking about concerning the blown out bg (Nik brought up the same point). I'm going to crop that out and make some curves adjustments.
    Dbuggs - I have no freakin' idea what's going on with his hand. I didn't even notice until you mentioned it. I just checked out the RAW file and it's the same. I know there is nothing unusual about his hand (he's my 16-year-old son). I don't remember what I did to WB...probably direct sunlight.
    gvf - thanks for the comment.

Man, I really hate having to ask this question, but how do I attach a picture using the Insert Image button. It gives me the option to enter a URL for a picture. Not sure how I attach using this.

Thanks,
    Mark
    If you never know an enemy, how do you understand the worth of a friend?
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited July 30, 2009
    Mark1123 wrote:
    Man, I really hate having to ask this question, but how do I attach a picture using the Insert Image button. It gives me the option to enter a URL for a picture. Not sure how I attach using this.
    Welcome to Dgrin, Mark wave.gif
    How To Post on Dgrin
    edited July 30, 2009
    Mark1123 wrote:
    Jeff - thanks for the critique and the welcome. I completely see what you're talking about concerning the blown out bg (Nik brought up the same point). I'm going to crop that out and make some curves adjustments.

The scene in your original crop shown here is a good example of how an unimportant part of the frame can "trick" the meter into underexposing the important parts.

If you set your histogram to warn (blink) of overexposure.....and then use the histogram to set your exposure you can push things like that right over the edge during capture to set the proper exposure for what is important. But you have to pay attention to the histogram while shooting.:D
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    Mark1123 wrote:
    Dbuggs - I have no freakin' idea what's going on with his hand. I didn't even notice until you mentioned it. I just checked out the RAW file and it's the same. I know there is nothing unusual about his hand (he's my 16-year-old son). I don't remember what I did to WB...probably direct sunlight.
    gvf - thanks for the comment.

It was the 1st thing that grabbed me - I have to wear them on a regular basis so it could be biased.....

Posting pics;
    I copy/paste the url AFTER deleting the; http:// 'stuff' that's in the box.
  • leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    I think your instinct and intention in this photo is right on. Those columns are perfect for the type of shot you were going for.

To me, though, your subject doesn't look natural, comfortable. Also, you need a little better lighting on his face.

Another thing is the columns dominate too much. Either have him a LOT smaller in the photo (like sitting on the ground) -- or a lot bigger (cropped in tighter).

Lee