Experiment with low light...

GoofBcktGoofBckt Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
edited July 30, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
My friend's dog waiting patiently in the barn. C&C
Carrie

Comments

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    Sometimes simple is what makes a photo and I find this one simple along with me wondering what the dog is looking at.

I don't know about the car hanging on the ceiling tho. It distracts my eye somewhat from the light and the dog.

Good work with the light thumb.gif
  • GoofBcktGoofBckt Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    I knew someone would comment about the surrey hanging from the ceiling. lol I have the shame shot with it cropped out, but I found it to be much less interesting. But what do I know? It's hard to critique your own work. Thanks for the thumbs up and the C&C. :D
    Carrie
    Dogdots wrote:
    Sometimes simple is what makes a photo and I find this one simple along with me wondering what the dog is looking at.

I don't know about the car hanging on the ceiling tho. It distracts my eye somewhat from the light and the dog.

Good work with the light thumb.gif
  • Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    Nicely done!

Yes, the surrey is very distracting. I think it is a bit to "grainy", and it looks to me that there is a lot of noise too. Maybe that is why the dog looks out of focus?
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
    edited July 29, 2009
    GoofBckt wrote:
    I knew someone would comment about the surrey hanging from the ceiling. lol I have the shame shot with it cropped out, but I found it to be much less interesting. But what do I know? It's hard to critique your own work. Thanks for the thumbs up and the C&C. :D
    Carrie

Sorry...Just had to comment on that surrey :D I really think its a matter of choice on it really. I'm a person that likes to leave things "as is" when I take a photo. Meaning if its there it stays in the photo, but with the surrey you can either crop it or leave it. Really up to you.

As for the noise...I noticed it too and that is easy to fix. Again I think you have a good photo since most dog owners know that a dog will either be by your side or off in the distance waiting patiently for you.
    edited July 29, 2009
    Thanks for the C&C. You're right, it IS grainy and noisy. I actually did that on purpose and liked the look. lol I guess I'll re-think my noise levels from now on. I'm going to crop and repost with corrections later and you'll have to let me know what you think. :)
    Mr. Quiet wrote:
    Nicely done!

Yes, the surrey is very distracting. I think it is a bit to "grainy", and it looks to me that there is a lot of noise too. Maybe that is why the dog looks out of focus?
    edited July 29, 2009
    Is this any better? It looks the same to me except for the crop. I adjusted noise too. C&C, thanks!
    edited July 29, 2009
    I like that the surrey isn't there anymore, but I might of cropped just under the white wire above the door frame. That way there is a line to frame the top of the photo. Not that its needed, but to me it would look more complete.

Have you tried this in BW? With some grain added?
    edited July 29, 2009
    Thanks for the insight. I'll try that too. :) I learn so much here, appreciate the time everyone takes to critique and help out.
    Dogdots wrote:
    I like that the surrey isn't there anymore, but I might of cropped just under the white wire above the door frame. That way there is a line to frame the top of the photo. Not that its needed, but to me it would look more complete.

Have you tried this in BW? With some grain added?
    edited July 29, 2009
    GoofBckt wrote:
    Thanks for the insight. I'll try that too. :) I learn so much here, appreciate the time everyone takes to critique and help out.

I look forward to seeing the BW version :D
    edited July 29, 2009
    How's this?
    GoofBckt wrote:
    edited July 29, 2009
    I like it better :D Thats my opinion tho...others might think differently and its really what you like that counts.

Only I'd crop off more of the top so you don't see the wire on top of the door. Maybe bring the crop down to the top of the brown moulding on the top of the door. That will add to the simplicity of the photo if that is what your going for. Again...only my opinion.

Bw can come to the rescue when you have issues when noise in colored photos. Doesn't alway work, but when it does..then its "all good" :D

I really like the solitude of this photo. And I like how the dog is looking away from the light thumb.gif

Isn't editing fun :D Amazing how many things you can do to a photo to change it.
    edited July 29, 2009
    Thanks so much!! You're a gem. bowdown.gif
    Dogdots wrote:
    I like it better :D Thats my opinion tho...others might think differently and its really what you like that counts.

Only I'd crop off more of the top so you don't see the wire on top of the door. Maybe bring the crop down to the top of the brown moulding on the top of the door. That will add to the simplicity of the photo if that is what your going for. Again...only my opinion.

Bw can come to the rescue when you have issues when noise in colored photos. Doesn't alway work, but when it does..then its "all good" :D

I really like the solitude of this photo. And I like how the dog is looking away from the light thumb.gif

Isn't editing fun :D Amazing how many things you can do to a photo to change it.
    edited July 29, 2009
    GoofBckt wrote:
    Thanks so much!! You're a gem. bowdown.gif

That was so nice to say -- Thank-you :D I'm just helping you out by giving you some ideas.

There is something about this photo that is grabbing me. I think its the dog as I can see my dogs sitting there waiting for me.
    edited July 29, 2009
    Define yourself
    A lot better!!!! Great job!!!! Now that I know that it was the effect that you were looking for, then don't change it cause you hit it right on!!!!

(Thanks for the C&C. You're right, it IS grainy and noisy. I actually did that on purpose and liked the look. lol I guess I'll re-think my noise levels from now on. I'm going to crop and repost with corrections later and you'll have to let me know what you think. :) )

Don't change your style to make people happy, keep it. Your style in photography is what defines you, changing it to make people is the same as having other people define your work, not you! There will be defects in your work, but not your style, that is if you have found your style:D

I personally like the colored one better, but again, that ONLY MY opinion!

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D

Mr. Christoferson
    edited July 30, 2009
    I'm glad it grabbed somebody besides me. I shot it while I was waiting to do a photo shoot of my friend's horse. . . . and there sat Buster in that fabulous light. :)
    Dogdots wrote:
    That was so nice to say -- Thank-you :D I'm just helping you out by giving you some ideas.

There is something about this photo that is grabbing me. I think its the dog as I can see my dogs sitting there waiting for me.
    edited July 30, 2009
    Thanks quiet man. I appreciate that too. :) I do have a certain style, preferences, likes/dislikes and things that warm my soul in photography that may not float everyone's boat. I also like to keep an open mind and learn from others. I appreciate all the feedback immensely.
    Mr. Quiet wrote:
    A lot better!!!! Great job!!!! Now that I know that it was the effect that you were looking for, then don't change it cause you hit it right on!!!!

(Thanks for the C&C. You're right, it IS grainy and noisy. I actually did that on purpose and liked the look. lol I guess I'll re-think my noise levels from now on. I'm going to crop and repost with corrections later and you'll have to let me know what you think. :) )

Don't change your style to make people happy, keep it. Your style in photography is what defines you, changing it to make people is the same as having other people define your work, not you! There will be defects in your work, but not your style, that is if you have found your style:D

I personally like the colored one better, but again, that ONLY MY opinion!
    edited July 30, 2009
    No prablemo!

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D

Mr. Christoferson