Snoqualmie Falls at Night

bobcoolbobcool Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
edited July 30, 2009 in Landscapes
Well we got to Snoqualmie Falls late today, too late to see the sunset on the falls. I decided to go ahead and hang around and try some long exposure shots with the D300 and the 17-55 2.8 lens. Here is one that turned out quite nice. I'll be going back there tomorrow or Thursday to get that sunset shot. C & C appreciated!

604964692_mM6UC-L.jpg

Comments

• thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    Bob, this is not just nice, it's fantastic! thumb.gifclap.gif I'm not much for shaving cream effect on waterfalls, but in this shot, I think it works out quite well. The whiteness of the water really pops against the dark background of the rock wall. My one suggestion would be to desaturate the very bottom of the water a little to get rid of the blue hue on it, if you want.
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • boblu262boblu262 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gif

I DO love the silky water affect of long exposures on waterfalls. I also like night shots, so this is a double winner for me.
  • bobcoolbobcool Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    Great feedback so far, thanks! I desaturated the water, but didn't take out all of the blue because I kinda like it a little blue at the bottom. So, is this better?

605186769_yWCPL-L.jpg
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    bobcool wrote:
    Great feedback so far, thanks! I desaturated the water, but didn't take out all of the blue because I kinda like it a little blue at the bottom. So, is this better?

605186769_yWCPL-L.jpg

I think it's better, Bob. What do you think?
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • boblu262boblu262 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    I love it! That slight blue halo around the water at the base makes it for me!
  • bobcoolbobcool Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    I think it's better, Bob. What do you think?

I think when I print this and put it on my wall, the desaturation will work well. I agree that it was too blue, and pulling it back was a good move. Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it...
  • marcpromarcpro Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    You should offer this shot to whoever runs the Inn at the to of the falls! It's fantastic!
    Marc.
    -- Photography without post-processing is like cooking without salt or spices.
  • Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    Excellent shot! It has been about 14 years since I've been to Snoqualmie Falls. I'd love to go back. Thank you for posting! :D
  • Roaddog 52Roaddog 52 Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    A great shot, both really work but I think the second version works really well.

If you want to offer this image to the owners of the lodge and property you would need to contact the Muckleshoot tribe, who purchased the lodge and adjacent land in 2007.
    I don't know where I'm goin, but I'm goin anyway.