DSS#30 -- struggling with the theme

ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
edited August 8, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
I took this last night. It's my four-year-old in his preferred environment.

604754202_Q6GhE-XL.jpg

I'm having trouble deciding if I should focus on the environment, or on the portrait.
uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
ackdoc.com

Comments

• The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    It seems to be a wonderful portrait. You stated that this is his favorite place to be and included in your shot. Both are in focus. Don't know if your read this or not but I copied and pasted it here for you.

The Background in Environmental Portraits
    The surroundings or background is a key element in environmental portraiture, and is used to convey further information about the person being photographed.

Where it is common, in studio portraiture and even in location candid photography, to shoot using a shallow depth of field, thereby throwing the background out of focus, in environmental portraiture the background is an integral part of the image. Indeed, smaller apertures and more depth of field is commonly used in this type of photography. [2]

[edit] Details in the surroundingsWhile it is often true that the background may dominate the subject, this need not necessarily be so. In fact, the details that convey the message from the surroundings can often be quite small, and still be significant.The key seems to be in the symbolism expressed by various elements in the background, for instance, a baseball cap may not tell you much about your subject(unless he or she is a baseball player), but a chef's hat gives you a lot more detail about who he is and what he does.[3]

peace, gail
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    It still needs to be a portrait. I don't think this qualifies in that simple regard. For example, how does your son occupy himself when he is preparing for bed. How about after school or kindergarten? What does he surround himself with?

Here's a hint and the way I'm going to approach the shot. Let him become engrossed with his activity or surrounds. Be patient while still taking an occasional shot so the camera isn't intimidating. Here's the magic... Bring the attention back to you enough to where he takes notice of you and visually invites you in to his world. Take the picture and hope to all heck that everything is set correctly.
    edited July 29, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    It still needs to be a portrait. I don't think this qualifies in that simple regard. For example, how does your son occupy himself when he is preparing for bed. How about after school or kindergarten? What does he surround himself with?

Here's a hint and the way I'm going to approach the shot. Let him become engrossed with his activity or surrounds. Be patient while still taking an occasional shot so the camera isn't intimidating. Here's the magic... Bring the attention back to you enough to where he takes notice of you and visually invites you in to his world. Take the picture and hope to all heck that everything is set correctly.

Excellent advise
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    michswiss wrote:

15524779-Ti.gif
  • ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    I agree. Not right for this challenge. The pic says a lot about his environment, but not enough about him. I'm thinking a 4 year old is probably not the best subject for this challenge anyway. But it certainly is easier when they're always available.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
    edited July 29, 2009
    I want to apologize for not thinking it through more throughly before commenting on your shot.

I am grateful the others chimed in. I am not always good at knowing how to say something. I should have stated that there was more environment than subject? I don't even know if that makes sense. Just ignore me.

gbowdown.gif
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    It may not be right for the challenge, but I love this shot!
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    What a great shot Mark!! This is definitely a keeper. I agree with the others though, this isn't the best fit for the challenge.

Again - super shot! clap.gif
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited July 31, 2009
    although I agree with the others about this shot not strong enough for this challenge. I would also be quick to add that if this was my shot I would have it printed framed and hanging on my wall! Simply superb pic!!thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    JAG wrote:
    although I agree with the others about this shot not strong enough for this challenge. I would also be quick to add that if this was my shot I would have it printed framed and hanging on my wall! Simply superb pic!!thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

15524779-Ti.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
    edited August 8, 2009
    My struggle with this theme is, I'm just not a portrait photographer. Not that familiar with the technical skills involved (i.e., good lighting techniques). But moreso, I've never been that comfortable taking pictures of people, except family or newborns. I have a hard time directing a pose.

Although I know quite a few people who would look great in their unique environments (e.g., a local ivory carver that works in a studio from whaling days), I just can't bring myself to ask them if I can take their portrait. So I have turned to a self-portrait.

To explain the environment, I deliver babies (however they want or need to come out). So this is me in my small hospital's 1950's vintage operating room.

As a photo, what does it need (other than a shave)?

614042708_LTXGB-L.jpg
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
    edited August 8, 2009
    Of course, uploading the pic here, I then go to look at the entry gallery, and M_U has uploaded an OR pic as well. Isn't that a little like showing up at a party and seeing someone else in the same dress? :)
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    I think this is a fantastic SP!!! clap.gif

I would diminish a little (or completely) the light under the chair.

Don't think you need a shave - just don't tell that it's a SP ;)
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
    edited August 8, 2009
    Thanks. You're right on the floor. I'll work on that before the entry one.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    I didn't realize you were an ObGyn.

I hear you about directing poses. rolleyes1.gif I find it difficult, too.

As far as staging a shot, is it possible to get one of you holding an infant in that environment? If you can't get a real infant, how about a using a prop that looks like one? And what about wearing a stethoscope?

You can even set something up that would make you look like you just delivered a wee one where you'd still be wearing your head covering whilst holding the little bundle.

I think you need to elevate your eyes to engage the viewer. Your eyes are not quite making that connection to the viewer because they look every so slightly downcast. But that's a difficult thing to do. Can you set up a mirror behind the camera so you can see yourself?
    edited August 8, 2009
    Thanks for the reply Linda.

I thought about trying to do this in the environment that means the most to me, the regular labor & delivery suite, instead of the OR, but our usual labor rooms and very nice, look like a hotel room, and are not much to look at as an environment.

It would've been cool to have been holding a baby, but then I would've needed to admit to someone what I was doing. I did this after hours when no one was around. So I sat up in the OR instead.

Your posing advice is well taken, and definitely my weakness (both as a photog and a subject).
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    This is a great environmental portrait as is... don't worry that there is another doctor shot, doe not matter in the least... clap.gifthumb

Winston
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    This is a great environmental portrait as is... don't worry that there is another doctor shot, doe not matter in the least... clap.gifthumb

Winston

15524779-Ti.gif
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    As the voice of my grandmother says in my head, "Sit up straight." :D

The beard works.

I like this shot.
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    Greg. This is simply a phenomenal SP and perfect for the challenge. It's always possible to make things better in retrospect. No need IMHO for this one. I have a feeling you're one of THOSE. (I'll explain at a later date.)
    edited August 8, 2009
    "...one of THOSE."

What, a geeky physician in love with his toys, and longing to have an outlet for a misdirected sense of artistry?

:)

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009

Winston
    x3 for the 15524779-Ti.gif

If you end up using this shot as your final and do not know how to deal with the Light on the floor reduction or removal an easy way is to just crop off the bottom of the frame just slightly above the light splashes. (or just leave it mwink.gif)

Great environmental light! Well done.
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    I love it!