Finally got around to doing some post.. CC please

00SS00SS Registered Users Posts: 730 Major grins
edited July 29, 2009 in Landscapes
These are some before and after post shots that i took a few weeks ago. Is the post to much? to saturated? Also, I have question about MP, I shoot with a D50 (for now, till i can get a 700) and it's only 6mp.. will this be enough to goto a 20x30 print.. or will it lose it clarity? I printed out some of these (SOOC) on 8x10 and they looked great.. just wondering how large I can go. thanks in advance for any and all C&C. Oh, and please excuse my rookie skills at photoshop .. i'm still learning how to use.

DSC_2765.jpg
DSC_2765copy.jpg

DSC_2889.jpg
DSC_2889copy.jpg

DSC_3296.jpg
DSC_3296copy.jpg

DSC_2454.jpg
DSC_2454copy.jpg

DSC_2969.jpg
DSC_2969copy.jpg

Thanks for looking
Devin.
Devin

Comments

• IanJIanJ Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    The sky is all of them looks over saturated. Especially in the first one. In number 5 the clouds look over exposed after you've edited them. I have no idea how you'd correct this in Photoshop as I don't use it.

I do like images 1 and 3 though, at the moment before you've edited them.

Ian
  • marcpromarcpro Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    The fourth from the bottom catches my eye the most. I think the processed version has too much saturation (on my screen, anyways).
    Where are these taken?
    Cheers,
    Marc.
    -- Photography without post-processing is like cooking without salt or spices.
  • 00SS00SS Registered Users Posts: 730 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    the more i look at the post on these.. the more i like the originals :cry
    all but #4 were taken at Glacier National Park.. 4 was taken at the tetons.
    I realize that I probably put these in the wrong place (being that most of what i was asking is to do with the post on them), mods please feel free to move.

back to the drawing board in photoshop..

Ok - went back and toned down the saturation a bit... any better ?
    Devin
  • aerialphotoaerialphoto Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    00SS wrote:
    the more i look at the post on these.. the more i like the originals :cry
    all but #4 were taken at Glacier National Park.. 4 was taken at the tetons.
    I realize that I probably put these in the wrong place (being that most of what i was asking is to do with the post on them), mods please feel free to move.

back to the drawing board in photoshop..

It isn't just saturation, it's contrast too. A lot of the whites really got blown out in some of them. The water in the first one, for example - and the clouds. The saturation in the sky on that one is way over-done too. Instead of a nice blue with cloud details it now has a harsh blue/cyan with white blotchy-looking clouds.

On the positive side though, the trees and rocks have more life to them. If you want to boost the saturation try dealing with individual channels (green and yellow), or do an overall increase while dropping blue/cyan.

If you think you need more contrast try playing with the curve instead of the contrast/brightness controls. Sometimes adjusting the lower-end of the curve while leaving the higher-end will give nice shadow depth without being too harsh. An alternative would be to bring the highlights down with the shadow/highlights control after making your contrast adjustments.
    edited July 29, 2009
    It isn't just saturation, it's contrast too. A lot of the whites really got blown out in some of them. The water in the first one, for example - and the clouds. The saturation in the sky on that one is way over-done too. Instead of a nice blue with cloud details it now has a harsh blue/cyan with white blotchy-looking clouds.

On the positive side though, the trees and rocks have more life to them. If you want to boost the saturation try dealing with individual channels (green and yellow), or do an overall increase while dropping blue/cyan.

If you think you need more contrast try playing with the curve instead of the contrast/brightness controls. Sometimes adjusting the lower-end of the curve while leaving the higher-end will give nice shadow depth without being too harsh. An alternative would be to bring the highlights down with the shadow/highlights control after making your contrast adjustments.

ah, good stuff.. exactly what i was looking for.. many thanks Scott thumb.gif
    Devin
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    have our friend dwayne look at it, he started a thread just for that! thumb.gif

Think you overdid it with the photoshop in some, your SOOC's are pretty nice as they are, only need minor adjustments IMO
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    Nice shots! That blue in the sky is very pretty.
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
    edited July 29, 2009
    have our friend dwayne look at it, he started a thread just for that! thumb.gif

Think you overdid it with the photoshop in some, your SOOC's are pretty nice as they are, only need minor adjustments IMO

Thanks, I did post in dwayne's thread.. he is the one that tweaked #3 in that thread.. so I was just practicing the things he did to my photo.. obiously i missed the mark by a bit.. rolleyes1.gif

I went back and toned them down.. the original posted edit's (see comments 1 &2 ) were even worse. I think i need to find a happy medium, but for now SOOC seem to be better than my software skills.

thanks for your comments thumb.gif
    Devin
    edited July 29, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    Nice shots! That blue in the sky is very pretty.

Thanks Mahesh
    Devin