Feedback for DSS #30 Choice

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited July 31, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
I'm not very good at shooting people (with a camera). But a situation presented itself yesterday morning that I think is pretty emblematic of the types of hurdles that we crazy landscape photographers go through.

The story:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=138654

The shot:

605021330_SwtGj-XL.jpg

You'll be happy to know that Danny survived the experience.

I know that typically environmental portraits are supposed to have more portrait and less environment, but I think the only proper way to show the context of the photographers environment was to include more of it.

Opinions?

Thanks!

Comments

• whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    Ron - thanks for sharing your story - a fun read.

I think you're correct, it is awefully difficult to get a full appreciation of this environment without a wider shot. However, I think you could reach a better balance. I don't get the sense this is a portrait because I can't even really see your subject.

So, when you go out to reshoot this one mwink.gif:D make sure to wear your hiking boots and to properly secure your wallet!
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    So what do you like to shoot people with......rolleyes1.gif
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    cj99si wrote:
    So what do you like to shoot people with......rolleyes1.gif

I'll let you know once the statute of limitations are up mwink.gif
    edited July 29, 2009
    whiterice wrote:
    Ron - thanks for sharing your story - a fun read.

I think you're correct, it is awefully difficult to get a full appreciation of this environment without a wider shot. However, I think you could reach a better balance. I don't get the sense this is a portrait because I can't even really see your subject.

So, when you go out to reshoot this one mwink.gif:D make sure to leave your wear hiking boots and to properly secure your wallet!

Thanks Christopher, it's definitely a gray area... Having the subject be tiny relative to the rest of it is kind of the point of the photo, even though it may conflict the portrait theme. I was interested on what people would think on this subject so thanks for your feedback!
  • Mad CatMad Cat Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Thanks Christopher, it's definitely a gray area... Having the subject be tiny relative to the rest of it is kind of the point of the photo, even though it may conflict the portrait theme. I was interested on what people would think on this subject so thanks for your feedback!

I think it rocks, just maybe crop it a little tighter.....
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:

And if I didn't make this point clear, let me state it here:

Regardless of theme, this is a fantastic image that you should be very proud of! And the fact that you have a great story to go with it makes it that much better! clap.gif
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • Roaddog 52Roaddog 52 Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    A nice image and a great story, the snow is usually gone by this of time of year on that portion of the trail. After reading your story and seeing your image I am primed for my next trip out to the "Big Guy" Did you spot the headlamps of many climbers?

I think if it had been possible you could have captured this image with a longer lens bringing the hiker closer while also capturing the mountain, but it is tough to get above someone on that part of the trail and shoot back towards the mountain.

Phil
    I don't know where I'm goin, but I'm goin anyway.
    edited July 30, 2009
    Roaddog 52 wrote:
    A nice image and a great story, the snow is usually gone by this of time of year on that portion of the trail. After reading your story and seeing your image I am primed for my next trip out to the "Big Guy" Did you spot the headlamps of many climbers?

I think if it had been possible you could have captured this image with a longer lens bringing the hiker closer while also capturing the mountain, but it is tough to get above someone on that part of the trail and shoot back towards the mountain.

Phil
    Thanks Phil - yeah you could see a bunch of climbers, not as many as when I was there on a Saturday (the weekend before last):

595421220_4pqez-XL.jpg

Here's a tighter crop of the original image with the horizon straightened out more:

605760028_Y3WQd-XL.jpg
  • Roaddog 52Roaddog 52 Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    Ron, Great time lapse image. You captured some nice star trails and the headlamps tracing the routes out of Muir and Sherman.

Phil
    I don't know where I'm goin, but I'm goin anyway.
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    While I LOVE this shot and am terribly jealous of the fact that you live in a place where you can just decide to hit a mountain on a whim and get snow in the process, I would agree with Roaddog and whiterice that it's pushing the boundaries of the theme.

It is simply beautiful. Makes me wish I was there....
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited July 31, 2009
    Gorgeous pics Ron! I have to agree that the 'portrait' end might be lacking just a tad...but these are well taken shots to be proud of!thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif