Does this have A Strange Color Cast?

EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
edited July 31, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
I've just noticed a strange greenish color cast when I view a few recent images. I usually use Firefox web browser. But, when I view this image in IE the colors are normal with a warmer cast. I have never had this kind of a problem with Firefox. Does anyone use Firefox and if so does it look normal or does it have a greenish cast to it? And does it look ok in your IE?605231081_sbqdP-XL.jpg

Comments

• sixdaemonbagsixdaemonbag Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    I'm using FF and it looks ok to me.
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    I don't know about strange, but it does have a slight green cast. I opened it in FIREFOX and IE and it looked the same to me........slightly green....

azzaro
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    Azzaro wrote:
    I don't know about strange, but it does have a slight green cast. I opened it in FIREFOX and IE and it looked the same to me........slightly green....

azzaro

Thanks for the info. I've asked support at Smug if they could help. The color cast is significantly different than it really is and should be.
    edited July 29, 2009
    I contacted the heroes at Smug and they sent me this which seems there is a bug in FF?

thanks for getting back to us. I asked one of our engineers to take a look at your message.
    He is thinking you might be having these issues because of an open bug Mozilla has with Firefox 3 :( Here is where he pointed me to for the bug report:
    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=497363

• anvilimageanvilimage Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    Eia wrote:
    I contacted the heroes at Smug and they sent me this which seems there is a bug in FF?

thanks for getting back to us. I asked one of our engineers to take a look at your message.
    He is thinking you might be having these issues because of an open bug Mozilla has with Firefox 3 :( Here is where he pointed me to for the bug report:
    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=497363

There is specifically an issue with FF 3.5, not 3.0 and has to do with color management. What version are you running and if it is 3.0, do you have color management turned on? In that version it is turned off by default. The default in 3.5.x is to turn it on, but they broke it for ICC v4 profiles and is only compatible with v2 profiles.

Try bringing the image in question up in Safari and see how it compares. They have the color management handling profiles correctly.

For more info about ICC profiles, take a read here:

http://www.color.org/version4html.xalter

-joe
    Joe Ercoli
    My Photo Blog - www.anvilimage.com
    My Smugmug Gallery
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    I've looked at this on two different monitors, both in Safari, and there is a slight greenish cast, which I am sure can be fixed with some color and/or temperature adjustments.
    edited July 29, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    I've looked at this on two different monitors, both in Safari, and there is a slight greenish cast, which I am sure can be fixed with some color and/or temperature adjustments.

Thanks Dan,

On my hard drive, and in Capture NX 2 as well as a few other PP programs and even Quick time...the color is beautiful. I noticed this after upgrading Fire Fox but if you are using Safari it might further than I thought. Oh, the prints are excellent as well. Sigh..nothing like hard copies huh? No wonder my photos seem to be crappy! :D
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    Hi Eia
    Beautiful image here. I downloaded it, opened with Photoshop CS3 and put it side by side with FF 3.5,1 and Safari 3.1.2 on my iMAC. There is no discernible difference in the three images here, and certainly no color cast observed. So whatever is coming out of PS when you upload is being faithfully reproduced for me.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
    edited July 30, 2009
    anvilimage wrote:
    There is specifically an issue with FF 3.5, not 3.0 and has to do with color management. What version are you running and if it is 3.0, do you have color management turned on? In that version it is turned off by default. The default in 3.5.x is to turn it on, but they broke it for ICC v4 profiles and is only compatible with v2 profiles.

Try bringing the image in question up in Safari and see how it compares. They have the color management handling profiles correctly.

For more info about ICC profiles, take a read here:

http://www.color.org/version4html.xalter

-joe

Thanks for the info; I am running the latest/greatest FF. I do have my color management on. I guess i could down grade FF but the problem is...what everyone else is seeing! I hope the problem is fixed quickly. I am on a PC so I dont have Safari but I'll download and try it. Thanks!!
    edited July 30, 2009
    A screenshot of four different views. Safari & FF look pretty crappy.

606197421_GfUJy-X2.jpg
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2009
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2009
    I've FF 3.5 and IE8 on a Windows Vista.
    Both of the images look very close. The IE image may be a just a touch brighter but the colors look the same and very close to the "IE" and "My computer" that you posted later.

I do see a slight green cast but it's not really much in my view.

Hope that helps.
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2009
    Here are my screen shots on an iMac. Left to right: my computer (PS CS3), FF 3.5.1, Safari 3.1.2

606320723_5iK5d-XL.jpg

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
    edited July 31, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    Here are my screen shots on an iMac. Left to right: my computer (PS CS3), FF 3.5.1, Safari 3.1.2

606320723_5iK5d-XL.jpg

Thanks for doing that! At least yours is consistent! The rocks should be a tad more red. Hmmm...this is interesting.